In upsidedownland, Verizon upheld its fiber broadband promises to 14 cities

[Read the post]

1 Like

This makes the Verizon billboards and other adverts that I see saying, “Thanks, Rochester, for being the best customers out there!” that much more infuriating.

4 Likes

This is what I want to do to all Broadband / Cellular providers, especially Verizon.

8 Likes

I finally filed an FCC complaint just to say that Verizons prices for my service were too high. They called me and basically said tough shit. And then the FCC closed the case.

I think we need to up the bandwidth to the FCC on this.

8 Likes

Roger That!

1 Like

I’m not sure why but “Kevin Service” is just about the funniest name I’ve noticed recently.

4 Likes

Verizon has brought new meaning to the word “service”. Actually quite an old meaning, but not what the customers were expecting.

4 Likes

Well that “passed” thing sounds hilarious, but it’s perfectly reasonable. If the intertubes run right past every house, then everybody can order service. That’s a big step forward - my ghetto neighborhood doesn’t even have that. I would happily upgrade if I could.

1 Like

I wonder how many enraged customers have actually done anything to force Verizon’s hand, beyond crying to their imaginary advocates elsewhere.

“homes passed” or “passed” is actually a telecom term. Essentially what they are saying is that if someone calls in to order they can get service because the mainline is close enough for them to immediately service. It wouldn’t make since for them to pre-wire every address in hopes that they might order. This would get outrageously expensive. It makes more financial since to only install the line to the address when someone is going to order so they will get a return on the investment of installing that line. It can cost around $3-6k or sometime more just to cross a street or bore under a parking lot to get to a customer. No telecom company would pre-wire every address from the main line. They would probably go out of business if they did. I don’t work for Verizon and I am not defending them. It was that when I read this article my interpretation of what the author gathered from the Verizon employees’ statements is incorrect. The rep isn’t stating that they are just nearby, they are saying they can immediately service these customers because the main line is close enough “… we’re passed if, when we get the request for service and have the necessary rights of way, what we have left to do does not create a delay in bringing service to that customer”

1 Like

According to the linked article, Verizon currently has 42,000 outstanding requests to install FiOS, 75% of which have been active for more than a year. So they are not actually letting people order the connection, even when the fiber ‘passes’ their property.

10 Likes

Too bad we don’t have a government agency that could take care of this.

3 Likes

“We hope you have enjoyed being serviced by Verizon.”

3 Likes

I’m in one of the first cities where FiOS was rolled out. When they sent a tech to install FiOS in the building (to the D-Marc) I called for service. I was told it would not be available.
We relocated to another location in the same city. I watched as Verizon ran fiber to the school next door. Still, Verizon says we are not eligible for fiber. When I asked why they said it was because we didn’t own a multi tenant building. So, here we are stuck with unreliable Time Warner Business Internet as the only high speed business internet available.
I don’t know what’s worse, being ignored by Verizon or having to deal with TWC.
We are being screwed over by our internet providers here and we can do exactly zero about it.

1 Like

I have FIOS, but all these stories of woe are making me feel guilty about not upgrading to higher service tier, and fully exploiting the wonders of fibre optic.

1 Like

[quote=“doctorow, post:1, topic:67794”]
…what we have left to do does not create a delay in bringing service to that customer…[/quote]

Well, golly, Kevs. If you have ANYTHING left to do prior to bringing service to the customer, then you’ve got a delay in bringing service to the customer. Your non-lawyer cred is showing, dickbag.

Oh, do please go and fuck yourself, Kev.

"My name's Kevin, but me mates calls me Kev."
1 Like

I wonder how many enraged customers have the wherewithall to do jack shit to force Verizon’s hand in any direction at all.

Indeed. So, do they find out by actually trying something? Or do they decide that they can’t from the outset? My experience is that the biggest obstacle is a sort of self-censorship where people can be counted upon not to act not because they know what they can or cannot do, but rather, that they feel that they occupy a role where powerlessness is expected of them.

If even 5% of their enraged customers acted against their personnel and infrastructure, I suspect that this would change how they did business. But if not, why are they suddenly going to be equitable?

Sure, failure is certainly possible. But it is guaranteed when people aren’t willing to even try.

1 Like

That’s a somewhat fair critique (self-censorship), but even as a well-educated (and sexy) person, I’m not entirely sure how I’d attack that particular system. Write (another) ignored letter to my elected representatives? Explain, again, to my friendly Comcast telephone representative that I hate their company (but not them) and that I wish Mothra would descend from the sky and destroy them with the collective white hot sphere of burning rage (h/t The Onion)? Hell, I can’t even shift my business elsewhere because Comcast is one of the few companies offering internet access in my area.
Lastly, much as Cory’s example shows, the Telecoms could sign an agreement saying they’d mine the sun for kitties and puppies, but there’s always language in those agreements that allows for the perversion Cory quoted above. See, we “passed” service to you, so now we owe you nothing.

2 Likes

Against my better judgment about what’s good for my mental health, I read the linked article. And I was almost ready to believe that Verizon might have until a reasonable point, until I got to the point about how they consider some homes “passed” by fiber a mile away. In NYC.

My in-laws have Fios in MA. They had constant outages until they convinced Verizon to switch them from coax to ethernet WAN, which they were extremely reluctant to do. A month or so ago they managed to get switched back to coax without meaning to, and had to go through the whole fight again. So even if an individual house is already actually set up for fiber, they still don’t want people to use it.