Indian call center employees posing as the IRS may have bilked Americans out of millions

jar? what jar?

but “The IRS does not call” as inscription could be working, Sankas are everywhere and noticeable

1 Like

Y’all almost got the orange right, it’s a little more earthy.

Hey! No fair changing the picture!

5 Likes

sorry, changed it back - I did not see your reply before I edited

1 Like

Watching it go back and forth made me laugh. I love how the internet is both forever and a memory hole at the same time.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Many, but not all, scammers use autodialers, but how do the scammers who have a taxpayer name to go with the phone number receive that data? Who sells it to them?

2 Likes

He’s probably just a massive fan of The Young Ones.

9 Likes

Dammit, you got there first.

3 Likes

They should’ve applied to Wells Fargo.

5 Likes

Yet still they find time to curl up with a good book:

1 Like

As with the 419ers, it’s entirely likely that the seeming incompetence merely weeds out those call recipients who aren’t rubes.

6 Likes

I’m surprised people spend so much time reading. The average American reads 49 minutes a day every day? I am beyond surprised.

3 Likes

It doesn’t say what they read

11 Likes

I’m kind of surprised that so many people still answer random calls from strangers. Caller ID and voicemail have been around for a long time now. More than that, most people I know never answer the phone unless a call was pre-planned/scheduled (unless it’s from one of those few family members who don’t text or use messaging apps and therefore can’t schedule it).

3 Likes

ah, the looking-at-dissolving-blue-dots counter. it’s so mesmerizing and relaxing

Now I know my future daughter’s name. Barbara Connery Bruce Transistor Mariachi. I can’t wait to meet her.

8 Likes

1 Like

If your number is listed, they get your name from the phone company, same as regular telemarketers.

If it isn’t listed?

1 Like

Obviously they’re mining (probably in violation of the TOS) some other database that has your name and number in it, no idea which one, sorry.