Injured man sues to get name of e-scooter rider who committed hit-and-run

That’s why I carry a cane…oops…

10 Likes

Why can’t we just license all of it? Give kids permits until they’re 14 and they have to take a bike safety class to pass. Fewer bike/car/pedestrian run ins = better, yes?

1 Like

e-scooters are a menace. The Lime Scooters are everywhere here in Tacoma. Young people mostly and some wild riding ensues. I worry for their safety. At the very least helmets should be worn. (lots of hills in Tacoma). I enjoyed very much riding the Lime bikes when they rolled them out during a trial period. I felt they were safe, but the scooters are going to result in all kinds of injuries.

2 Likes

6 Likes

Umbrellas work too…

8 Likes

Get away with committing crimes using this one weird trick

2 Likes

I live in Austin, so HAHAHAhahahahahahhaHAHAhahaha! Yeah, right. Also, I’ve never riden one of these things. I need all the execise I can get.

1 Like

Welcome to Philadelphia. We’re not Austin.

1 Like

It’s 20 mph here in MN. Used to work in a bike shop that sold em. There’s generally some sort of setting that controls max speed, and its usually easy to reset. Sometimes its as simple as opening a box and turning a dial. I doubt renters do that, and assume the scooter companies are setting them properly, but 20 mph is still pretty damn fast. Regular bicycles going that fast is possible and also dangerous, obviously, but are less common and tend to be piloted by skilled riders.

2 Likes

This. The victim shouldn’t need to find the scooter driver; the police should be doing it as part of their criminal investigation.

2 Likes

Portland is in its second trial for escooters.
The law requires that scooters stay off the sidewalks
The law requires that you obey the rules of the road on an scooter
The law requires that you wear a helmet while using a scooter

Scooter riders routinely ride on the sidewalks and ignore the rules of the road.
I have never seen anyone wearing a helmet while riding a scooter.

1 Like

The US may be different, but often homeowner’s or renter’s insurance covers you for personal liability except for certain specific activities (operating a motor vehicle and using firearms being the main exclusions).

I don’t know whether an e-scooter is a ‘‘motor vehicle’’ for this purpose or not.

1 Like

All very valid points about liability, how not even a pedestrian can commit hit-and-run, but I did notice something uniquely American about this.

The question being bated here is that the injured man needs to sue to have his medical expenses paid.

2 Likes

It doesn’t say the scooter company would be liable. He wants to find the person who crashed into him so I assume he wants to sue them.

1 Like

People in cars generally cause the most mayhem including serious injuries and deaths.

Of course autos kill more people. This isn’t a zero sum game. I’m horrified at how poorly most people drive. And I have unpopular opinions on speed limits. And on gun control. I’m generally opposed to easily avoided mayhem, no matter how fun, convenient, or profitable. But the topic here is e-scooters. I’m agin 'em.

1 Like

The article states he wants to sue the scooter company: “He plans to use the information to prosecute “the negligent company and rider,” according to the statement.”

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.