Inside a multimillion dollar fake Kindle book scam

“That’s called business, by the way,”

-Donald J. Trump

11 Likes

I did miss that—couldn’t access the full article through this firewall. Definitely scammy!

3 Likes

Rack 'em.

2 Likes

Put a mirror in front of it, problem solved.

Bonus points for writing “Fuck the NSA” on the mirror.

4 Likes

It’s sometimes tempting to think that the books might just be low-quality but otherwise legitimate junk – say, he’s running a vanity press that publishes anything to get the volume and doesn’t proof it much, so buyer beware. But in practice these scam ebooks are basically:

– Wikipedia articles
– chapters from other books with keywords find-replaced
– public domain stuff
– actual garbage generated by machines
– maybe some actual original material sourced from fanfiction type sites with the author giving permission. Or not.

The legit vanity press/self pub type places will certainly put out an ebook for you! They have the market covered and this guy is surely not part of it.

6 Likes

These guys are why we can’t have nice things like micropayments. Funny compuserve was able to do something the internet still can’t do.

3 Likes

Micropayments fail because nobody wants the goods and to monetize every aspect of interaction with the world.

Micropayments do not fail because of the methods and engineering.

3 Likes

I was under the impression that mackeeper was just malware. I’m surprised to hear that they also have other endeavors outside of just being a malware company.

8 Likes

If you’re cheating people out of money, then it’s definitely a scam. And yes, I would consider fake ratings and search-engine-“optimization” scams.

4 Likes

Sometimes there some gems in the dreck, or just enjoyable dreck

2 Likes

Me, too. I’m almost afraid to Google it, assuming Mackeeper has SEOed the crap out of the top results.

4 Likes

#WHY DO I NEVER THINK OF THESE THINGS FIRST 

10 Likes

Wait, you are saying there is no money in like-botting the BBS? Pretty sure you thought of that first :smirk:

4 Likes

That’s an easy one to fix.

In ten years, during one of the time hiccups from Rob opening the safe, give yourself a whole bunch of ideas like this before anyone else can capitalise on them.

4 Likes

It says he is “Vancouver-based”, so I guess the question is whether it is actually illegal in Canada – but after all, a lot of Americans think Canada is exactly like Communist Russia…

1 Like

Well they do have that socialized Obamacare and they took away their guns and made them play hockey. Exactly like the Soviet Union!

3 Likes

No love for curling? I like curling…

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.