Instagram is a dialup BBS

4 Likes

People who use green text on a black background hate the Internet. The internet is more than a telnet session into a VT220.

Don’t tell Richard Stallman that

6 Likes

But isn’t that what people want, when they say Facebook should properly address privacy concerns?

If I post something on my wall to my group of friends, or I privately message something, obviously I don’t want someone else, or their web crawler, sucking that all up.

You can’t have it both ways.

And I don’t really understand the original argument either. Yes, it sucked when Instagram was so closed you could only see pictures by using your phone’s app. But do we complain that shared Minecraft levels are only accessible by running Minecraft? Sure, static images should be a lot easier to just stick on a web page than a Minecraft level, but that’s just an argument about broser capabilities, nothing about whether such things ought to be accessible on the open web.

As we connect together to do more and more thing (like Minecraft, I guess), there are going to be some things that just don’t make sense to be on the “open web” accessible with a browser. I don’t think it’s the end of the world.

1 Like

That’s why I use amber text.

(There were stories about the health issues associated with monochrome green screens. Which is why amber screens briefly took over before VGA color.)

3 Likes

I mean when somebody creates a “public” event on Facebook, it’s not actually public.

I mean when somebody tried to show off their photography on Facebook, they are only reaching people who will submit to Facebook’s invasion.

Private photos are obviously intended to be private (but Facebook is a weird place for that) so that wouldn’t be any kind of disappointment.

You cannot be added to the Disappointed in Facebook list before you like Zuckerberg’s page. Sorry.

2 Likes

In what will turn out to be my only contribution ever I’ll tell him how disappointed I am in Facebook five minutes after signing up.

I miss my VT220

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.