Intel earmarks $300m for workplace diversity

Actually, it’s about ethics in gaming journalism.

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s fair to expect that someone has to jump around to get paid equal. FTR, her peers have been there a long time, too.
Like I said, I know my world is only what I have seen, but in these 3 decades I’ve been working for a living (one more is all I can take) when I take stock of what I’ve seen, it’s been that the women doing equal work have not been treated the same or paid the same.
Further, let’s look at top managemant of the Fortune 500 for the last 30 years. Line those photos up. Funny what they all look like…

3 Likes

Because in practice, that doesn’t correct them. Many people are theoretically aware that you shouldn’t judge people by their race or gender, but nonetheless end up discriminating based on them anyway. Working to counter this bias does a lot more to overcome it than to have everyone ignore the issue.

If your reaction to a company working to counter bias against minorities is to say you’re disappointed that’s what they chose to focus on, then no our points do not agree. And is it anything but callous to suggest people who don’t like that bias should just go elsewhere - saying they could just restructure their life so they don’t have to work for a corporation, indifferent to how easy or hard that might be for them?

You should review how rights for women and minorities have come about in the first place. It’s not by ignoring discrimination, it’s not by telling them to go someplace else, and it’s not by declaring standing up for them “boring”.

7 Likes

For you, as a man, to have not only noticed this, but also tried to counteract it, makes you Hero of the Day. Bravo!! :+1: :+1:

Hey bro I just wanted to say that for you, as a fellow man, to have not only noticed this, but also tried to counteract it, makes you Hero of the Day. Bravo!! :muscle: :muscle:

3 Likes

I never said that I was disappointed. But I am disappointed that again I hear a large corporation claiming that it takes $300 million to do something which appears to be common sense and not actually cost anything in practice. And I do find it curious that the kinds of diversity people strive for and cheer about still tend to be superficial matters of non-job-related appearance. It seems obvious to me that if those companies were not echo-tunnels of biased, cookie-cutter thinking that such differences would not have been at issue in the first place.

As for the inconvenience of helping people to avoid exploitive work hierarchies - it’s about as callous as the underground railroad.

Christ, what a couple of assholes.

Update: I was incorrectly assuming a mocking tone where none was present. See below.

That is if you believe in man-made climate change, like some kinda lefty nut. Me, i think the climate is natural, and there’s nothing we can do about it. if the climate in colleges and high schools are unfriendly to women in STEM, that’s just the way god intended it.

Huh? Did you think my comment was snark? Cuz like, it wasn’t…

Or is your comment snark?

Gah, confusing Internetz is!

Yes, it looked like both you and @brainspore were being snarky. I apologize.

1 Like

Thanks for explaining.

I do find it rare that a man would notice and work against such things, so I do find such actions worthy of note, and praise.

2 Likes

In case it wasn’t clear, my comment was an attempt at humor to underscore the kind of problem @lumbercartel and @milliefink were talking about (guys who ignore women who bring up good points only to later repeat those ideas as if they thought them up themselves).

3 Likes

If women are this under represented, do you honestly think they are being paid equally? Heh. That does not compute.

1 Like

Uuuuuuhhhhh. You’re not all that well versed in this subject, are ya?

2 Likes

Please tell this to the people who actually discriminate based on these things.

3 Likes

ETA: It worked for me! :smiley:

5 Likes

I certainly do!

Great, and that’s commendable. But it seems here that you’re focusing on changing the attitudes (or actions) of the people who are trying to help, rather than those of the actual bigots. I really don’t get where you’re coming from.

1 Like

Now that brings up the interesting question whether discrimination between behaviors that are highly correlated with gender constitute discrimination. A simple example is that some jobs rely on relentless self-promotion to succeed. Some men and many women are uncomfortable doing so. Does the resulting pay gap represent discrimination?

Another classic is after-hours availability. Women far more often has other responsibilities (family, etc.) that prevent them from accepting “optional” work. People who do volunteer end up valued more highly by the company. This results in a pay gap. Is it discrimination?

Well, it sounds like pretty clear cut discrimination to me. Glad to hear it was at least somewhat rectified.

Fair enough. My suspicion is that the 1-2% gap that was attributable same job/less pay in the tech field tends to be a lot of equality mixed with some severe examples of discrimination (probably in smaller shops).

Let me re-iterate. My comments are restricted to tech and the same-job/less-pay aspect. (Note, if the studies are wrong and the pay gap is 15% in same-job/less-pay, that would indicate no discrimination in same-sector/different-job aspect, and to my mind that seems flatly impossible.)

Anyway, that’s only tech. Women in upper management face massively more discrimination because both women and men typically react far worse to typical leadership actions when they come from a woman rather than men.

Plenty of studies indicate that exactly the same action that are seen as showing leadership when performed by a male and are seen as bullying when performed by a woman (and this is from men and women). This also occurs the other way - certain classically nurturing or comforting actions are seen as positive when performed by a woman, but are negative (creepy or threatening) when performed exactly the same way by a male (again, by both men and women).

Obviously this makes it much harder for women to advance in occupations involving leadership as they are seen by all observers (statistically) as performing worse. (Some examples of women mayors in rural Indian villages are especially interesting, as these aren’t just actors being rated. Residents were more satisfied with male mayors that had objectively worse results than female mayors who led in all measures of village development. Talk about having to be twice as good!)

Combine that with the fact that the path to upper management requires relentless self-promotion which far fewer women are comfortable with means that there’s going to be massive inequality at the top. (That’s to say nothing of the other requirements for upper management - off-hours socialization, spouses as corporate adjunct, “voluntary” 100% availability, etc.)

Upper management is perhaps among the clearest examples of discrimination based on the nature of the entire system of corporate organization in the Western world. It doesn’t even require (although I’m sure it’s highly present) people to personally discriminate against women at all. You’ll get massive inequality based on the requirements.

(And as an aside, I’d be willing to bet, although I’ve not seen any studies to this effect, that men and women react very differently to exactly the same act of self-promotion, depending upon whether it’s a woman or a man performing the act.)

2 Likes

True. They’re also all white middle aged dudes, too. God, when are all the baby boomers going to be gone?

1 Like