Interesting, thoughtful stories

Definitely fits in “The Kids Are Alright” thread too.

6 Likes

:thinking:

1 Like

:question:

Maybe “staunchest critic”?

28 min read

Oh. Well, maybe some day…

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s more accurate, I think…

I found it worth reading. He doesn’t really come out on the side of “Chomsky is a hypocrite” (which is sort of what the title might imply) but rather than we all find ourselves having to make difficult choices to support ourselves in our society. But ultimately, he argues that Chomsky’s activism was incredibly important and served as a model for many who came after him.

8 Likes

[ETA]

3 Likes

Only APL programmers, I think, could truly be accused of occult practices. :thinking:

life ← {⊃1 ⍵ ∨.∧ 3 4 = +/ +⌿ ¯1 0 1 ∘.⊖ ¯1 0 1 ⌽¨ ⊂⍵}

Conway’s Game of Life in APL

1 Like

I’m sorry @catsidhe but after three minutes I had to turn it off. Life is far too short. What is the reason that you tubers are holding lavalier mics? Of all things.

3 Likes

Confused Trailer Park Boys GIF

1 Like

Short answer: Internet Ugly Aesthetic.

Longer answer: because an explicit display of unprofessionalism (while, ironically, getting better sound quality) is a reaction to professional video factories and a reinforcement of the aesthetic that you don’t have to have a full studio to make videos, it’s the content that matters more than the production quality.

Short answer again: because PragerU doesn’t.

6 Likes

Always a good guideline.

I guess it’s lavaliers as they are the cheap and unobtrusive way to get decent quality. They are really cheap.

3 Likes

So, a very long way of saying this:

3 Likes

Basically, yes, with lots of context, and history, and callouts to some excellent Youtubers (including channels like Philosophy Tube, Some More News), and a reminder that PragerU is a massive raging dumpsterfire of misinformation, lies, and bullshit.

5 Likes
7 Likes

Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF

Shorter answer:

NO

5 Likes
1 Like

Intriguing connections between loneliness, addiction, and worshipping of Tromp.

4 Likes

The question isn’t just whether men will take it, it’s also whether they’re telling the truth about taking it.

8 Likes

Exactly. Given that they still face basically zero consequences for lying about that kind of thing, legally, it’s not going to change anything very big, imo. It does give conscientious men in trusting relationships another way to play a part in reproductive decisions, but unfortunately that seems to be it. Our culture and laws need to catch up and hold these guys accountable for their actions.

7 Likes

3 Likes