Interesting, thoughtful stories

2 Likes

Fascinating read, but wow, what a misleading quote in the onebox. And terrifying how the absence of constant low-level bullying made submission and compliance seem pleasant.

7 Likes

I think it gives away too much, too soon.

But that’s exactly how it works, not just in that one country.

It’s good to get a 3-generational representation of how quickly and completely this happens.

6 Likes
8 Likes

TW: this talks about death and dying.

This is kinda genius and amazing and I want it, if I get the chance.

9 Likes

This report on e-waste and the costs - human as well as economic - is a good one to consider during the holiday shopping season:

4 Likes

Terry knew.

“…the kind who brushed the dog and told their children bedtime stories…”

That passage leads into this one:

Yup.
Terry knew.

from

[ETA] Need to add a pic of Sir Terry!

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

11 Likes

https://archive.md/sKlWF

I will say that the concept of growth helped drive the postwar liberal consensus, and that itself is part of the problem, because of what endless growth demands.

Also…

Another pins more blame on the Democratic Party’s cultural elitism.

Weighing Options Are You Sure GIF

I would argue that the post-Clinton third wayism wasn’t about “cultural elitism” so much as it was about embracing growth and international trade to drive wage growth…

A handful of Republican senators, including J. D. Vance, Marco Rubio, and Josh Hawley, have embraced economic populism to some degree, but they remain a minority within their party.

And of course, that’s bullshit. Yet more examples of journalists just taking the far right at their word.

7 Likes

When they say “cultural elitism”, it means “not pandering to the science-denying, modernity-hating, proudly ignorant bigots”, doesn’t it?

1 Like
3 Likes

Yogi Berra has entered the chat: “Always go to other people’s funerals; otherwise, they won’t go to yours.”

4 Likes

Just another reminder that being smart doesn’t mean that one can’t end up down a conspiracy theory rabbit hole. People have been talking a lot about this book, but I’m glad they’re focusing on this point, because it often gets missed here, that it’s not about intelligence:

5 Likes
2 Likes

Then there’s Junichiro Koizumi, one-time Prime Minister of Japan.

(excerpt) Koizumi was at certain points in his tenure an extremely popular leader. Most people know him very well due to his trademark wavy grey hair. His outspoken nature and colourful past contributed to that; his nicknames included “Lionheart”, due to his hair style and fierce spirit, and “Maverick”.[8]

3 Likes

And a new philosophy tube video…

3 Likes

The more I read about this issue the more I realize how deeply complex this whole situation is. I can’t imagine being responsible for managing something like this at 27.

5 Likes

At least it’s not resting on the shoulders of an ‘elder’ such as Trump, McConnell, etc.

Age does not always confirm wisdom.

7 Likes

Definitely not. I just couldn’t imagine having that much responsibility at 27 (although to be fair I still couldn’t imagine doing it at 43).

The stories covers how he’s shifted his approach to dealing with everything as he does the job and learns more. It’s quite impressive.

7 Likes