Interesting, thoughtful stories

4 Likes

For myself, I would have seen a Neurodiversity thread as a thing of itself (and I suspect there are enough ND folk around to keep it active), as a more general thing to discuss Neurodiversity as a topic. (Also, I don’t always know when what I think are relevant and interesting asides are actually derailing and/or lecturing, so…)

Which is, I think a separate Neurodiversity thread would be worthwhile for its own sake.

I just didn’t want to assume. I do too much of that already.

8 Likes

Cool! I agree. Go for it! Just wanted to let folks know I didn’t see it as a derail.

6 Likes

How’s that look.

5 Likes

I didn’t mean to step on any toes. I just thought that since this isn’t a fix-the-off-topic-stuff-type split, it might be nice to get an idea what our Mutants prefer to do first.

There are at least a couple of different ways it could be done. Quoting is a little more difficult, but it preserves the original posts in this discussion and includes them in the new one. Moving comments is fine too, but it can be tricky to choose what’s included, and risks leaving holes in the original topic. :woman_shrugging: Whatever everybody chooses is fine by me, but I really like the idea of some sort of Neurodiversity thread. :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Okay. Guess we didn’t need the poll, if there’s already a new topic! :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

If anyone wants their posts split over there or needs help quoting, go ahead and @ me or PM. :wink: :grin:

3 Likes

Youre Cool GIF by The Big Moon

I can’t move anything anyways… whatever the people in the subthread want, they can have!

7 Likes

Great piece on how “burnout” is real.

5 Likes

She’s so censored that she got a NY Times opinion column. It must be tough being that oppressed /s

11 Likes

I’m sure she feels terribly shunned though, and thus awfully brave for speaking out in the NY Times, when she knew that shunning would happen. :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Tough to disagree with this eloquent but grim assessment of the state of things, by the venerable Mike Davis.

Thanatos Triumphant

All the think tanks and genius minds that supposedly guide the Clinton-Obama wing of the Democratic Party are in their own way as lizard-brained as the soothsayers in the Kremlin. They can’t imagine any other intellectual framework for declining American power than nuclear-tipped competition with Russia and China. (One could almost hear the sigh of relief as Putin lifted the mental burden of having to think global strategy in the Anthropocene). In the end, Biden has turned out to be the same warmonger in power that we feared Hilary Clinton would be. Although Eastern Europe now distracts, who can doubt Biden’s determination to seek confrontation in the South China Sea – waters far more dangerous than the Black Sea?

Meanwhile the White House seems to have almost casually chucked its weak commitment to progressivism into the trash. A week after the most frightening report in history, one that implied the coming decimation of poor humanity, climate change rated nary a mention in the State of the Union. (How could it compare to the transcendental urgency of rebuilding NATO?) And Trayvon Martin and George Floyd are now just roadkill rapidly vanishing from sight in the rear-view mirror of the presidential limousine as Biden rushes around reassuring the cops that he’s their best friend.

But this is not simply a betrayal: the US Left bears its own share of responsibility for the dismal outcome. Almost none of the energies generated by Occupy, BLM and the Sanders campaigns were channelled into rethinking global issues and framing a renewed politics of solidarity. Equally there has been no generational replenishment of the radical mindpower (I.F. Stone, Isaac Deutscher, William Appleman Williams, D.F. Fleming, John Gerassi, Gabriel Kolko, Noam Chomsky…to name just a few) that was once focused laser-like on US foreign policy.

4 Likes

“This issue is not merely philosophical for our community. Trans people have babies, need general access to reproductive medical services, and have abortions. However, we do so within a healthcare system that is often hostile to our very existence,” Imara Jones, founder and CEO of TransLash Media, tells Teen Vogue . “By not including trans people in this fight, the overall reproductive justice is smaller and weaker.”

The series starts with a video titled “My Abortion Saved My Life,” in which Cazembe Murphy Jackson, a Black trans activist, explains how having an abortion after he became pregnant when he was sexually assaulted in college prevented him from attempting suicide. On March 21, TransLash Media will share "I Didn’t Think I’d Make It,” the story of Stann’s abortion that helped them access more trans-affirming care. The series will finish with “Trans Bodies, Trans Choices,” Jack’s abortion story that explores transphobia in healthcare, and how they’re now lobbying for more trans-inclusive training for abortion providers.

9 Likes

I can’t even imagine what hell it must be to know you’re a man, be raped, AND get pregnant as a result. That adds layers of horror to an already horrendous situation.

9 Likes

TLDR, Ireland has changed dramatically within the past 40 years.

8 Likes
3 Likes

It would be enlightening to see a comparison of the Gate’s foundation’s various efforts. I’ve heard loads of praise across the board for the vaccination programs and other public health spending. Maybe the already existing systems for those things helped make sure the money did the most good.

2 Likes

I have never read any Neal Stephenson myself, so I don’t know how accurately it describes his work, but I found it an interesting look into the politics of his techbro and billionaire fans.

3 Likes

After doing a bit of digging, I’m putting what I found on this subject into the Grifters topic. :disappointed: It makes me glad Melinda Gates changed her mind and decided to place her funds elsewhere!

9 Likes
4 Likes

From the Journal of the Obvious

7 Likes