Internet Archive forced to remove half a million books

Glad we cleared that up. /s

12 Likes

I’m just astonished that there’s an international Big Used Book cartel. :thinking:

5 Likes

8 Likes

Thanks for the explanation. The lawsuit sounds like a reasonable CYA move on your company’s part, even if (as @someguy notes) the IA isn’t acting in bad faith by operating under different terms and using the print ISBN to identify a scanned print book.

2 Likes

Capitalism is like Daddy, it won’t love you back.

15 Likes

Hey - corporations are people!

That means they don’t have any rights either.

9 Likes

Those same companies you’re going to bat for seem to think they do (as do actual experts who aren’t techbros)?

U wot mate? Most of the issues these companies have with the IA is that they want the IA to buy ebooks, as supposedly scanning a library copy doesn’t fit in with the terms and conditions that the books are sold under… though you’re actually welcome to scan an entire library book for your own use.

Read that, and tell us why a company that no longer distributes, sells, or supports a piece of software is losing money?

Entirely justified, as ads are a proven font of malware, and other sorts of unwanted or dangerous software.

Also, who died and made you the arbiter of what is and isn’t copyright infringement?

15 Likes

And because 90%+ of ads are garbage that insult the intelligence of the audience. I’ve frequently not bought a product I otherwise would have because the ad that brought it to my attention was so awful. My using an ad blocker at the time might have made them some money.

10 Likes

And the ads make the site unreadable on my devices. Especially my phone.

10 Likes

One really has to consider the possible motive behind being in favor of invasive ads and malicious software…

:thinking:

11 Likes

Season 2 Couch GIF by The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

12 Likes

How consistent is it when you think businesses are entitled to get everything for free, rationalized with whatever, as with AI companies scraping the internet and unblocked ads acting as spyware? Why is your ire only for ordinary people wanting things and not C suites wanting ever more?

10 Likes

9 Likes

On my phone, when a site pops too many things in front of what I’m trying to read, I block the site from my news feed.

My attention isn’t free either.

9 Likes

Gee… it’s almost like the world is a complicated place and issues aren’t so easy to sort through and place into single categories… That can’t be it tho… /s

the simpsons adult GIF

But the inhabitants of the c-suites are obviously our betters!!! Are you saying your in favor of… non-CEOs having rights too!!! /s

Oh My God Omg GIF

6 Likes

I was interested in this point, so I looked it up on the US government copyright agency website. There’s no mention of Fair Use covering the creation of copies for public lending.

In the EU and UK there’s a provision that private individuals can make a copy for personal use in backup or format change. That doesn’t cover lending, though.

Canadian Agree GIF by CBC

6 Likes

Well… There was this one occasion when there was this old, obscure, out-of-print paperback that I wasn’t able to find via interlibrary loan and for which an affordable, used copy was not readily available, but the Internet Archive had it – and I had no particular trouble at all finding a download utility. (The tricky part was finding the right way to color-correct the yellowish background of the downloaded pages so I could put it on my eReader.)

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.