Internet-destroying outages were caused by "amateurish" IoT malware

Exactly. I can imagine plenty of Things that could benefit from being networked and even controllable from afar, but they should be able to function fully without phoning “home,” i.e. the manufacturer’s portal.

5 Likes

This site blames home routers, not IoT.

This makes me glad I’m not invested in owning ‘smart-everything’ devices.

When machines are all “smart,” people sure seem to get real ‘dumb.’

7 Likes

Well, it makes me feel better about my day yesterday. Instead of getting some freelancing work done, I went off on a two-hour hike. I was feeling guilty about that untile I found out the services I rely on were down anyway.

Still, it’s sort of satisfying in a grim way for there to be a “see, I told you so,” moment for insecure IoT devices.

4 Likes

I’d never feel badly about getting some exercise.

I like freelancing, but this can be a challenge sometimes.

3 Likes

Appliances don’t need WIFI.
No, they really don’t.

8 Likes

Yeah…sighs. Adding pointless shitty features is cheaper then producing quality products that are durable and have useful innovations. It also distracts from the ever decreasing quality of many of these device types. These IoT devices become outdated as quickly as smartphones making their lifespan much shorter then their traditional counterparts. smdh.

6 Likes

Isn’t that the actual point of the “Internet of Things”? Even with nowadays’ falling standards, you can expect to get around 10 years out of your fridge. The companies making them are looking at the smartphones makers and salivating at the idea of making people change their appliances every couple of years.

Never mind DoS attacks, the fact is the planet can’t take any more of this consumerist nonsense and remain hospitable for our civilization; but who cares, only the next quarter’s numbers are important.

7 Likes

On the other hand, it’s better for the earth that you replace your aging appliances, with ones that consume less power, and produce fewer greenhouse emissions.

1 Like

I don’t quite remember where I read that, but a point was made a while ago that it was better to buy a ten year old used car than the latest “eco-friendly” model. The reason is: for most cars (and I imagine this to be true for appliances), the peak point of pollution (any kind) is when they are made. It’s only if you use them extensively (while maintaining them) that you can offset this - I think for cars it was around 20 years.

3 Likes

I’m a big fan of my wifi-enabled thermostat. I’m renting out my house for a year and my tenants are not paying for our gas. I can make sure that the thermostat is programmed correctly and that they are not blasting heat in the summer.

After this incident, though, I am considering disabling it.

And, yes, in agreement with lightbulbs and fridges.

1 Like

The irony is that all you first world suckers lost internet for the day, whereas we in Latin America had the same crappy internet we always do. I only learned of the outage because all of twitter complained about it.

3 Likes

How good are you at turd polishing?

2 Likes

“Usedta be we’d get DDOS’d but now microwaves just kill motherfuckers.”

3 Likes

#Headline Hyperbole

Obviously the internet wasnt destroyed

2 Likes

It’s the lack of income when not working that gets me. Clients aren’t as keen as some previous traditional employers to pay me to be there “just in case”.

Still, locally, it was a beautiful day.

1 Like

Revenge of the Brave Little Toaster?

2 Likes

All of us? My internet access was fine that day; no issues at all.

That would make a lot of sense, considering that this is actually a thing:

*lolz

4 Likes

Ah. Gotcha.

Jesus, no. No, no, no.

This is why I enabled ‘Safe Search’ months ago (short version of story: Carebears) and haven’t changed it since.

3 Likes