Internet-destroying outages were caused by "amateurish" IoT malware

I recall; I do believe it was while you were searching for something to post in the cake thread.

You mentioned being traumatized.

Had I but known, I could have forewarned you…

5 Likes

That heat map looks like an overlay of the solid Hillary Clinton states edit: except Texas. … just saying.

Wonder how long it’s going to be before we see something like a home Wireless modem which has 2 SSIDs. One for your standard internet access and one that is designed for IoT. Put firewalling on it so it can’t smash the internet. Have special rules auto-applied to each device depending on how it identifies itself. Including rules that say “If trying to talk to net and exceed cut off device from internet”.
Obviously, it’d be better if IoT had proper security in first place. But this is turning into the Wild West again.

More dire, this has the potential to radically change the Internet as we know it into a one way medium (something that elements of the corporatocracy would indeed welcome). Today a consumer cable modem/internet connection can source any packet to any destination IP address, a fundamental concept that is key to the innovation and power of the Internet. To combat this type of attack, service providers, and more likely government claiming oversight of service providers, will restrict/legislate what consumer internet connections are allowed to do.

Good news! VW says their new electric vehicle will be part of the Internet of Things!

3 Likes

5 Likes

That’s discussing an attack from early September, and even then routers were not the most common item involved:

By fingerprinting the IPs, we were able to profile 3 different botnets:

1. IoT CCTV Botnet (same as previously disclosed)
  2. IoT Home Routers Botnet (new)
  3. Compromised web servers coming from data centers (very common)

In this case, home routers made up 25% of the IP addresses, resulting in about 11,767 compromised routers.

(The “previously disclosed” CCTV botnet being approximately 25,000 items in size.)

The majority of the Dyn attack was from DVRs:

As with the gafgyt malware family, Mirai targets IoT devices. The majority of these bots are DVRs (>80percent) with the rest being routers and other miscellaneous devices, such as IP cameras and Linux servers.

1 Like

Mine too, but we’re going to suffer anyway as our twitter and FaceBook dies under DDOS. Oh. Never mind.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.