Introducing an early reader to comics -- recommendations?

the Carl Barks duck stuff is a MUST. Supplement with Duck Tales DVDs if necessary.
Walt Kelly’s Pogo is pretty great, as well.

i think it’s important to not underestimate what your kid can digest. They understand a lot more about the world than grownups want to give them credit for. My 3y/o continually astounds me on this front.

If kids are interested and parents approve the content, let 'em give it a whirl. If some bits of it are over their head, they’ll catch it on some future go 'round. If they latch onto it, they’ll end up reading it a thousand times, anyway.

-T

1 Like

hey, Skottie Young’s no slouch, either.

2 Likes

Also, a good option would be Spiralis, as well as Gaston.
Spiralis is sometimes known as Marsupilami. They were both was drawn by André Franquin.
Sometimes the two seried would mix, with hilarious results:)

Fantastic series, both of them!

I used to read them as a 4-year-old, and loved them:D
Perhaps your child will as well:)

1 Like

One of the main things about comix that is so appealing to early readers is that they can get an idea of the story without reading any words. Comix empower the reader, who maybe isn’t so comfortable reading yet, because there is more than just words… And for that very reason one of the best ways to find comixs for your kid is to take him or her to a good store and have the kid look at the books to see which ones look appealing. My own kid loves Asterix, which I was never crazy about, and is uninterested in works I do like – he’s his own person with his own sensibilities, as I am sure your son is too!

There are lots of great books people have listed here. Whether your kid will like them is anyone’s guess. I would add Binky the Space Cat, for what its worth, but there are lots and lots of works out there. Take him to a good store and let him browse. Enjoy!

2 Likes