What comic books should I be reading?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/19/what-comic-books-should-i-be-r.html

3 Likes

Sex Criminals.

5 Likes

Try Belgian comic books. A whole new world will open up for you.

That would include Dutch and French comics, among other nationalities. One of my favorite: the Incal Series by Moebius:

11 Likes

That’s a horrible thing to do to a comic book. I have tried to use those few times like reading Barks, Rosa, Tezuka, Moore, Grant etc and stuff where there are no official translations. It’s wrong to me. I’m snob…

I think some of this might be availble in digital copies.

Etc

6 Likes

Half of things I come up with aren’t in English nor have digital copies…

3 Likes

Oh and

2 Likes

Have you read anything by Jeff Lemire? All his work is terrific, but you will probably most enjoy his recent series Black Hammer and Descender

1 Like

My favorite book is The Question. It was a remake of a Chart on comics character. Dennis O’Neal took Steve Ditko’s rather two dimensional libertarian leaning character and created something really amazing. Each issue asked an philosophical question and didn’t give the reader a pat answer. Bad guys were kicked in the head, yes, but the main point was an examination of the meaning of what we call evil, for instance. The reprints are hard to find, but you can pick up the whole 36 issue run for a buck or two an issue. This is a truly underrated comic.

4 Likes

I read these comics and liked

3 Likes

Things NOT to read:

2 Likes

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Question-Comics-Huge-Lot-25-Comic-Book-Collection-Set-Run-Books-Box-1/352408920196?hash=item520d356084%3Ag%3A0WkAAOSwSbxbQp-9&_sop=16&_nkw=the+question&_from=R40&rt=nc

This isn’t the full run but a bit of poking around and you can find them al…

Akira is a masterpiece, check it out if you haven’t before.

Not dark and gritty at all, but one of my favourites: Bone

Somewhat gritty, great art: collaborations of Grzegorz Rosiński and Jean van Hamme,

6 Likes

Bill Watterson just turned 60 years old. His comic strip Calvin and Hobbes is still a great choice for anyone who enjoys comics.

7 Likes

That reminds me of

4 Likes

This! Concise short stories with a real asshole of an anti-hero. I don’t think any comic has come close to matching Torpedo’s dark humour. And while its protagonist is misogynistic, racist and heartless, its clear through the stories that its writer is not

5 Likes

If you like space opera:

If you like the Far West:

If you like samurais:

5 Likes

If you want to try something a little more mainstream, check out Mark Waid’s recent (2011-2015-ish) run on Daredevil. I’ve been reading (mostly) superhero comics for 40 years, and yet Waid managed to surprise me with something almost every single issue. Then once you’ve read that, read Waid and Chris Samnee’s subsequent Black Widow run. Samnee is one of the best visual storytellers working today.

+1 to Supergod recommendation above.

5 Likes

I love The Incal. Humanoids Press has great titles! I read the Metabaron and Showman Killer recently, I thought the artwork in those was great, amazing, but the stories fell a bit short.

2 Likes