What comic books should I be reading?

If you really like dark, you should definitely read Preacher by Garth Ennis. The plot of the graphic novels is completely different from the (also excellent) television show, and IMO the graphic novel is infinitely darker.

6 Likes

I also recently read Wytches by Scott Snyder, great horror!

1 Like

One of the darker horror titles I have read in recent memory also.

1 Like

If you’re asking about graphic novels there are a billion great collections to read.

If you are talking about current comic book runs there is only one storyline you should be reading and it’s the Retun of Wolverine ones. There are a few different titles but all are labeled with the RoW stamp on it.

Comedy

1 Like

Yup, way better and positive than that title would have you believe :grinning:

1 Like

I don’t really read comics anymore… I get any Shadow comics when they come out, but their quality is mixed. Even the latest Batman Shadow/Shadow Batman were just ok. Some nice covers.

Though I have to say the Matt Wagner work is considered pretty good. I haven’t read Year One yet, but the fan groups I am seem to like it. I have read The Death of Margo Lane and liked it. Wagner seems to have a good understanding of the classic Pulp Shadow.

https://www.dynamite.com/htmlfiles/viewProduct.html?PRO=C72513024851001011

1 Like

I really enjoyed DMZ and am well overdue re-reading of it. Can’t remember who recommended it to me but they were right to do so.

1 Like

I haven’t gotten around to ready it myself (since I’m also catching up on prior stories) but the jist is that the Multiverse opens up and all these Batmen from other deminsions come into main Earth, and the Batmen that come in are corrupt versions of other core Justice League characters, such as Green Lantern

You can definitely read this through your digital devices

1 Like

If you want to read Japanese comics, but want to avoid the manga cliches, try reading Fumiyo Kono’s comics. She is very talented and recently had one of her works adapted to the theaters.

Another option is Tekkon Kinkreet by Taiyo Matsumoto. It is so creative and it doesn looks like a regular manga. Tekkon Kinkreet was turned into an animated film.

3 Likes

Black Science and The Wicked & the Divine are two of the best currently-running books out there. There’s a lot of back story to binge, and then you’ll be caught up as they are both reaching their climax

Saga by Brian K Vaughan and Fiona Staples feels obvious, but I’m sure there’s always one more person who hasn’t found it yet. Worth it every step of the way. (I can only do two links, so you’ll have to look that one up.

2 Likes

My brother, who is a big fan of superhero comics, said that Ms. Marvel comics, Bat Girl and Hawkeye are very good these days.

6 Likes

And funnier!

1 Like

The Wicked and the Damned

1 Like

Lost Girls is amazing. Just don’t let young children get their hands on it!

I agree with you. But the books in this list aren’t “dangerous” as this one. People think that if it is a comic book, it was made for kids and get nervous when they read it and discover it is “dangerous” like “Lady Chatterley’s Lover”.

http://cbldf.org/banned-challenged-comics/

1 Like

Not new by any means, but Fun Home by Alison Bechdel is great.

My daughter and I liked Paul Pope’s Battling Boy and Aurora West books.

_Seconds _ by Bryan Lee O’Malley was pretty good

A favorite of mine from Dan O’Neill (of the Air Pirates and the Mouse Liberation Front), only available used and in actual paper.

Pogo is as relevant today as it was when it was first published. No e-version sadly.

7 Likes

This is outside of main Earth, basically, Gotham turns on Batman in favor of a reformed Joker, it’s also got a good amount of current society problems that are beautifully written in and mesh super well to where you can notice which issue is being talking about but also feels like " yes, that can happen in Gotham no doubt " it’s amazing, it’s only 8 issues

The Badger! It was my first contact with a crazy character.

Concrete was a riddle for me. Was Concrete a superhero? He even had a history of origin, a secret identity, and so on. But it looked more like a movie, or a TV drama series. no epic battles or underpants out of the pants.

1 Like