Introducing BBS, our new forums

This morning we announced that we were saying “goodbye” to Disqus comments and “hello” to Discourse, a fantastic new forum system from Jeff Atwood and company. Now the time’s come to flip the switch! Go check out bbs.boingboing.net right away. How does it differ from what we had before? Check out the earlier post, first,… READ THE REST

8 Likes

Welcome to the first recursively self-referential crossposting.

9 Likes

“We’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad.”

“How do you know I’m mad?” said Alice.

“You must be,” said the Cat, “otherwise you wouldn’t have come here.”

5 Likes

Greetings Earthlings!

1 Like

There needs to be a way to add a comment directly on the article page. Adding an extra page load into the equation really makes this a step backwards in my eyes

21 Likes

There doesn’t appear to be a way to like posts from the story itself. You have to click in, find the post, then heart it.

Of course the posts that get promoted to the homepage are the ones that were liked so it’ll skew promotion to the homepage to allow more likes from the homepage, but if there was some way around that (like ignoring likes for the purposes of promoting it to the article page if they were done from the article page), I would like to be able to do it. Also I’d like to see how many likes a post has on the article page too. Something about seeing that metadata helps me decide if I should read it or scan it.

4 Likes

i remember back when only a few people knew about the bbs.

now look at it. i mean, that guy’s wearing a fucking polo shirt.

i’m so out of here.

1 Like

I like the person who liked the post.

Thank you. A marked improvement over Disqus!

Where are the MUDs?

5 Likes

Great; a new format to learn. How can I be expected to take the time to – oh.

How do I play TradeWars on this ?

7 Likes

It’s pretty terrible. I shudder to think how this would work on other browsers or on text-only browsers that some might need to use that don’t support all this JS shit for accessibility purposes.

3 Likes

It is all about Legend of the Red Dragon.

2 Likes

Somewhere, someone please make an actual BBS version of this site…preferably using TAG, because that’s the BBS software I miss the most.

3 Likes

It all looks so pretty. Good luck to the mods managing the forums!

I am still convinced Disqus was a front for the NSA.

It’s nice to be able to post @ BB once again!

4 Likes

I have to say, my reaction is two-fold.

As a comment system, I’m going to miss Disqus. It was perfect, and I use my Disqus account across the web. When there’s an article I want to converse about, I want there to be as few steps as possible. I don’t want to go to another page or sign up for something new. I can’t see myself participating much in a conversation that takes place somewhere away from the article and as a reader, I’m not really pleased with this move.

On the upside, this is a very slick forum system and I wouldn’t have known about it without discovering it here. It sounds like the developer has some great aims and I’ll be following it’s development from now on.

Summary: The bad: I’m not going to leave a boing boing story to comment here, I want to stay on the Boing Boing front page.

The good: As a forum system, this is nifty.

9 Likes

While this is in most ways better than Disqus, it manages to be worse on mobile, which, considering how terrible Disqus was in mobile browsers, is rather aggravating.

Essentially, it appears there’s no mobile version whatsoever, so the sizing is terrible and almost unusable.

4 Likes

BoingBoing is one of only a couple sites for which I would go out of my way to register. Congrats on the transition to your new platform. I will read with interest, :smiley:

2 Likes

Buh bye, hipster. Don’t let the door etc. etc.

2 Likes