Introducing BBS, our new forums

RIDICULOUS COMMENTS AFTER BOING BOING CHANGED ITS COMMENTS SYSTEM-AND ALSO AFTER THE SECOND TIME I HAD REGISTERED WITH DISCOURSE.

ON 28 JUNE 2013 I WROTE A RESPONSE TO THE COMICS RACK ARTICLE.

Unfortunately a large amount of the comment has gone “lost in the sandbox” I was to find out.

I had said something about how irritating it was that I couldn’t post a comic response to the article.

LukeTempleWalsh said:
IMAGE BLOCKED. The forum’s message:
“Sorry, new users can’t put images in posts.” Wow. Months and months and months ago I replied to a comic article on Boing Boing by doing a comic as a response. The comic article included a review of a comic done in comic form. Note I said “months ago”? But that was using Disqus. Now Discourse, or whatever this new thing is, has told me that new users cannot post a picture with their comment. Wow! Digitotalitarianism! Oh, I also wrote a thing about that on Boi…

That’s as much as was left of what I had written. However I remember I did point out that there was an inherent contradiction in the idea that there would be more freedom and the new interface as fanfared by Rob Beschizza would apparently improve the user experience of commenting, and the fact that my trying to use an image to comment was immediately vetoed.

So, what was left of that comment was only available thanks to this ‘codinghorror’ dude who wrote a reply to my comment:

Coding Horror said:

"Hey! I saw your post above.

To make it out of the new user sandbox, just spend a bit of time browsing around BBS reading a bit and you’ll have regular user permissions – which include posting images – in no time at all.

Also your old Disqus comments have not gone anywhere, see: (he redirects me to the post about people who made 50 comments get special passes with a link to it).

29 June 2013

I woke up to find the reply. And that the comment I had posted on Boing Boing was not there. Not in the article’s comment thread. Not on the Discourse site.

Well I hadn’t discovered that yet but here is the reponse I made (which will no doubt disappear, which is why I am saving it on my own computrer this time) to the comment from ‘codinghorror’:
Responding to this comment which was made private for some reason. I think it should be public:
codinghorror said:
"Hey! I saw your post above. To make it out of the new user sandbox, just spend a bit of time browsing around BBS reading a bit and you’ll have regular user permissions – which include posting images – in no time at all.
Also your old Disqus comments have not gone anywhere, see: New BBS Accounts "

To which I responded:

Hey! Thanks for replying and explaining that to me.

So my previous comments are out there, somewhere drifting in the Sargasso of Forum space.(As James Doohan’s remains will be if the ashes rocket thing happens, and hopefully he will find a planet where they can go back in time and retroactively teach him how to do a Scottish accent properly).

In one of those comments I discussed Digitotaltarianism. I am not going to précis my thoughts on this subject or why I invented the term here. I basically have gravitas in sort of “underground legend” terms. One of the things I find strange about all this is that my work as an individual is being pulped, mashed, disintegrated, jettisoned in this process of the introduction of a new system. As much fanfare about this new system as can be made, it is apparent to me that it has already failed by systematically destroying the context of previous history - something I think contradicts exactly what Cory Doctorow talked about (another- article I commented on funnily enough) in relation to books. He did a talk on it. Though it was somewhat obfuscated, he seemed to be saying that the history of literature is important and should not be lost in the “Age of Kindle”.

I had already read the link you sent by the way. I have never counted how many comments I made - I count the meaning and substance of my comments as vastly superior in value to the amount of them - the content within my comments is the product of deep thinking, not of Twitteresque micro-responses. I have also spent time reading Boing Boing content, however I tend to be very choosy, and analyse the headlines in the regular newsletter, then choose what I am going to read. I am even more choosy about what I comment on. Being told to go and read Boing Boing for a while to “make it out of the sandbox” is like a Professor being told to go back to first grade,.

Thanks for your suggestions but they are actually misdirected.

SUFFICE TO SAY, I WON’T BE COMMENTING ON bOING bOING AGAIN UNLESS SOMETHING CLEVER HAPPENS.

Oh. I also noticed that the circular avatar design Google+ (and who were a main target for my Digitotalitarianism thesis) stole off me and which I used on Boing Boing is now part of the coding. Just an afterthought there.