Inventory of a Dutch riverbed

Sure, if they ignore all the history before Columbus :sob:

Edit: when I stayed with friends in London they tried to tell me that America didn’t have anything old.

3 Likes

Or in the rest of Afro-Eur-Asia!

1 Like

Ha. It’s a joke. If you haven’t seen Dress to Kill, you should do yourself a favor and check it out. Then when people ask if you “have a flag” you will be able to smirk knowingly.

That’s the joke. In comparison with buildings and the like still standing. Certainly there is a plethora of old and really old artifacts in North America, including remains of mound cities and cliff dwellings, etc. (My friend was looking for fossils on some restricted park land (w/permits), and found what is known as a duck pot just sitting out in the open. Tagged it with GPS and they had people out the next day to pick it up

Central America and South America have amazing stone structures still standing. (Tulum was as close as I got to them, but it was really neat what I saw.) Unfortunately there is less in the way of recorded history (though there is some), but anywhere there were people you will find artifacts.

3 Likes

I hadn’t seen it–thanks for the recommendation :smiley:
Here’s a relevant part, just to make it handy for anyone else (though this part doesn’t include having flags):

2 Likes

That’s the one, I love old coins! :grinning:

1 Like

Where did you get that weird idea? It was a talking frog telling a stranded skipper to found a city here.

I was wondering whether or not they blanked out the credit cards. They did: Below the Surface - Archeologische vondsten Noord/Zuidlijn Amsterdam

I wonder if any of them hadn’t been blocked yet.

For centuries, Netherland was the only country allowed to trade with Japan, and you could occasionally encounter Japanese people in 17th century Amsterdam.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.