Thousands of Dutch vow to throw rotten eggs at Jeff Bezos’ superyacht

Originally published at: Thousands of Dutch vow to throw rotten eggs at Jeff Bezos' superyacht | Boing Boing

12 Likes

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

34 Likes

We can only hope that Bezos isn’t quite far enough removed from hominid social impulses to be immune from being bothered by the fact that he is in an extraordinarily strong position to simply steamroller people; but that being able to ignore people will never be the same as having their agreement, their goodwill, or their respect.

15 Likes

If they managed to hit the yacht with eggs they will only cause the crew to have a smelly cleaning task. The owner is unlikely to be onboard during a such boring event.

6 Likes

It’s more about just social (and media) humiliation than the tangible outcome.

20 Likes

One can dream.
It would be a thing of beauty if he was on board and one rotten egg would hit his Lex Luthor memorial haircut.

9 Likes

Dried egg on jel-coat is highly damaging, pelican poo is next up the rung on that ladder.

22 Likes

Try living here, in Seattle.

1 Like

I thought the bridge had already been taken apart. That’s what I get for half listening to “Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me!” on Saturday mornings! :crazy_face:

3 Likes

ahem, some of us are bald out of necessity and don’t appreciate being called penis-head, thanks.

but to be on topic: i LOL’d. please have video, please.

3 Likes

Not to mention that baggies or jars of acetone are really easy too!

1 Like

And flammable. I think that setting a few thousand tons of plastic, fiberglass, and exotic woods may be crossing a line, though. Think of the environmental damage.

1 Like

Yes, Bezos is a dick for this move. But let’s not let the leaders of the Netherlands [EDIT: fixed my geographic mistake] off the hook. They’re the ones who are giving him permission for it, and allowing their boat builders to make yachts far too big to easily navigate to the open sea. They need to move their fucking dry docks someplace closer to the ocean. If Bezos can pay to move a bridge, they can take enough money for him to get that done, too.

14 Likes

Denmark?

1 Like

Errrr… crap. Netherlands! Will fix, thanks for the correction.

4 Likes

Win win. Rotterdammers get their catharsis and cleaning crews on the boat get overtime.

1 Like

No worries! I thought I’d missed something!
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

So, the company built a yacht at a facility knowing that it wouldn’t fit under the bridge and never considered adding the masts after the yacht had been moved past the bridge? Sounds like the sort of competent company I’d use.

9 Likes

Don’t really care that Bezos is building a yacht – without getting into the tax policy of it, since he has that kind of money, I’d rather see it get spent on stuff that puts several hundred people to work for a couple of years in skilled and union work. What bugs me here is the yacht builders apparently just decided “enh, it’s a big enough project than they’ll have to let us (temporarily) remove the bridge.”

If I were the city, I’d stand firm on not dismantling it and let Bezos and the Yacht company sue the crap out of one another when the Yacht is built but functionally land-locked.

9 Likes

Yep, nobody is a better friend of the labor movement than good ol’ Jeff.

10 Likes