Take a gander at [what is not] Bill Gates's $644 million hydrogen-powered superyacht

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/10/take-a-gander-at-bill-gatess.html

2 Likes

Wretched excess.

16 Likes

What a waste of money.

10 Likes

Unfortunately this is an odd form of fake news - Gates didn’t buy this yacht, and in fact it doesn’t actually exist - it is a concept design from a yacht company.

37 Likes

Reminiscent of the Nautilus from the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

7 Likes

Might want to check that Hindenburg fuel fact as well.

17 Likes

Sorry, wrong and wrong.
LZ-127 was named Hindenburg1) and while hydrogen was used to lift the airship, it’s engines ran good on regular gas.

1) Asshole-in-Chief of the OHL during WW I and one of the guys that held the stirrups for Hitler. He did have Lenin carted from Switzerland to Russia to start the revolution, though - but not because he was a fan.

13 Likes

You owe me a coke…

1 Like

For better or worse pretty much all the facts stated in this post appear to be erroneous.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-10/superyacht-firm-denies-selling-hydrogen-powered-ship-to-gates

23 Likes

A) I enjoy seeing these super yachts. Some of them are really neat, and it’s fun to imagine sailing around the world in one, dodging pirates and solving crimes.

B) If Gates bought a superyacht, it almost certainly wouldn’t be owned in his own name. It would belong to some corporation somewhere, and confidentiality agreements would prohibit anyone from talking about the client(s).

C) If I had Bill Gates’ money, I would buy an airship, not a stupid yacht. https://www.businessinsider.com/inside-the-worlds-largest-aircraft-airlander-10-wealthy-travelers-on-luxury-3-day-expeditions-2018-7

7 Likes

So when is Tesla going to make super yachts, and spin off an electric boat division?

3 Likes

Yeah, my super yacht is going to give back to the community by offering long term contracts to anyone willing to serve on the rowing decks.

6 Likes
11 Likes

You know, there are some stunningly beautiful sailboats around that happen to be the only form of transportation that leaves no trace of its passage. Hell, a fraction of that money could restore a wooden boat of considerable size that would represent a much better way of being in the world today.

Ok I’m biased as fuck.

10 Likes

Just imagine how fetching it will look after the apocalypse, when it no longer has fuel and has to have masts retrofitted onto it.

And the 12 passengers and 34 crew become 150 people aboard the earth’s last ship, everyone contributing to the micro-society of survivors.

Also Bill Gates has an eye patch in this story.

19 Likes

The pictured watercraft is also hydrogen powered in as much as aerobic respiration is breaking hydrogen bonds.

3 Likes

ezgif.com-add-text

8 Likes

Would watch this movie.

10 Likes

Is it me, or was there some kind of stock photo mixup?

I see Clippy and Bill as a sort of Master/Blaster reboot.

4 Likes