Historic steel bridge to be dismantled so Jeff Bezos' $485 million superyacht can pass through

Originally published at: Historic steel bridge to be dismantled so Jeff Bezos' $485 million superyacht can pass through | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Not in the linked story, but probably important context:

A spokesman for the mayor confirmed the plan to reporters, with Mr Bezos set to foot the bill through [the shipbuilding company] Oceanco.

20 Likes

Good to be the king.

/melbrooks

19 Likes

29 Likes

I thought people liked Jeff Bridges.

33 Likes

The boat building company was well aware of this issue and built the boat anyhow.

32 Likes

Why don’t they partially dismantle the boat?

43 Likes

Another in the long list of exhibits in The Case Against Billionaires.

Related:

16 Likes

i have often wondered what it would be like to be so rich that no request, desire, or demand would be too much. any problem or complaint could be fixed with the right amount of cash. then i would weigh that against being considered a world-class dick, and decide i am all right with the way i am.

24 Likes

I assume its at the ship yard in order to make it look more like a floating penis?
It’s kind of his design thing.

2 Likes

Right? With that kind of money, you could build a temporary shipyard pretty much anywhere. That thing is definitely not going to be solely dependent on its masts to move, so it can’t be getting it out of the harbor that’s an issue. That’s where the human calculus would come in: a) a grand gesture to show respect for a historical city’s revered monument to wartime survival or b) fuck ‘em for the minor inconvenience that won’t make a lick of difference to my wealth.

B is for Bezos!

18 Likes

The Big Lebowski Movie GIF by The Good Films

22 Likes

The articles I’ve read describe it as a three-masted sailing yacht, which this image seems to confirm. It’s the height of the masts that causes the problem. It’s hard to see why they can’t rent a crane and step the masts after the yacht has passed under the bridge.

29 Likes

Obligs:

21 Likes

I say, just stick a sign on the bridge, and let nature take its course.

56 Likes

I remember that late 90s interview with Bezos where he says his Honda Civic (or whatever it was) was fine.

ETA: Here’s the relevant portion: Jeff Bezos 1997 Interview - YouTube

He was only worth 10 Billion at the time.

10 Likes

Anyone have any spare torpedoes for sale cheap? No questions asked.

11 Likes

Ah, but how many kings ended their reign ten inches shorter?

13 Likes

Not nearly enough of them, obviously.

16 Likes

That’s exactly what I’ve been saying on the other thread about this: there are plenty of oil rig builders around the North Sea periphery who have the giant cranes and dry docks that would be needed to accomplish such an operation.

11 Likes