Historic steel bridge to be dismantled so Jeff Bezos' $485 million superyacht can pass through

I think a mutiny would be more fitting. Like in the intro to ‘The Meaning of Life’. Let them hijack the yacht and use it to make the seas unsafe for other billionaires.

5 Likes

I like the cut of yer jib!
I say we keel haul the lot o 'em

5 Likes

REMINDER: Bezos lost $20 billion over the course of a few days (in fact he seems to lose several billion dollars on paper every few months) . . . and he still has enough to buy a super yacht AND pay to dismantle an historic bridge.

22 Likes

They say the best two moments of your life are:

• when you buy a $485 million superyacht
  • when you dismantle a historic bridge to allow passage of your $485 million superyacht
8 Likes

I just hope the bridge people knew to get their money up-front, as the ultra-wealthy are notoriously slow to pay up once they have what they want, and have lawyers and accountants to make sure that if they do have to pay, they pay the absolute minimum. Look at how he treats his employees for examples.

9 Likes

21 Likes
18 Likes

It’s really the 11th billion in the bank that makes the difference. The first ten is just a cushion.

7 Likes

that has the best quote:

“This man has earned his money by structurally exploiting staff, evading taxes, avoiding regulations, and now we have to take down our beautiful national monument? That is really going a bridge too far”

it’s smart that people want to see the contract – it’s very common for costs to fall on the public especially when you have a planet spanning team of lawyers on call.

22 Likes

Yeah it’s like building a giant RV that’s too big to get out of the city and demanding that the municipality dismantles a freeway overpass so you can go on vacation.

15 Likes

What are Amazon’s revenues from the Netherlands? Maybe a boycott to the point where Amazon is driven out of the Country would be a more powerful protest.

I know, I know. I can dream, can’t I?

2 Likes

Why raise the fixed structure when you can lower the movable structure?

In other words, don’t dismantle the bridge, sink the boat!

6 Likes

I just finished reading The Three-Body Problem and there was a great idea in there that could solve the height issue as it passes between the towers on that bridge. Now we just need someone to get on mass-producing some super-strong nano-filaments…

4 Likes

Or redesign the stupid masts so that they can be tilted back (like a ship-in-a-bottle) when necessary.

3 Likes

I hope he thanks all his employees and customers for making this possible…

1 Like
4 Likes

I’ve sailed on a tall ship (HMS Rose, now HMS Surprise) that had to step the top third of its tallest mast to pass under the Brooklyn Bridge. We were able to do it by hand on board the ship using the capstan and muscle power. Jeff Bezos = wimp.

15 Likes

Iron men people and wooden ships.

(I’m guessing you’re familiar with Lucy Bellwood’s work.)

Yes, a multi-part mast would solve the problem, but I would bet that this yacht has one-piece masts, probably carbon fibre because it costs more, and rigging that can’t be operated without computer-controlled power winches.

I’m sure he can’t pronounce “topgallant sail”, let alone point it out.

6 Likes

If Bezos can afford both the boat and replacing the bridge, why can’t he Beta test his boat first, to prove it actually won’t fit? It’s not like that hasn’t been done before.

6 Likes

Speaking of self-important assholes with too much money:

Developer cut three trees, at least one an oak of likely 100+ years age. He’s paying a $72,000 fine, but doesn’t mind as that’s the cost of doing business to him.

4 Likes