Historic steel bridge to be dismantled so Jeff Bezos' $485 million superyacht can pass through

If he hits enough bridges, it’ll eventually shorten his boat so he can slide under.

1 Like

What sort of self-respecting billionaire Bond villain isn’t sailing a mega-submarine rather than a mega-yacht anyways?

11 Likes

O yes! I’ve been waiting on that book from the owning branch for about 6 months now.
Baggywrinkles

2 Likes

I think I need a map, but it would be so ironic if the boat passed under the bridge with out masts, had masts installed, and now needs the bridge removed.

The boat was built in Zwijndrecht, and had the masts installed in Alblasserdam.

5 Likes

As long as Bezos is paying the full cost of taking it down and putting it back, I don’t have a problem with it.

1 Like

What an annoying video!

There’s the teaser of a boat going to hit the Sydney Harbour Bridge, then the video of the impact is obscured by two preview videos.

5 Likes

Apologies. It’s often difficult finding the perfect video to illustrate something.

Oh not a slam against you.

4 Likes

my take is: i’d rather him be paying fair wages to amazon employees, letting them have bathroom breaks, and hiring more people so warehouse workers aren’t (literally) breaking their backs to meet quota

if he treated his workers fairly and paid a fair share of taxes maybe he wouldn’t have so much extra cash that dismantling a cherished bridge was a possibility in the first place

and we’d all be the better for it

12 Likes

I guess it’s approached the same way as a large piece of machinery-- roads are closed, bridges are closed, so that some company can stripmine the climate. As long as (sometimes quite massive) fees are paid, the state’s infrastructure gives way.

Money talks and bullshit walks.

2 Likes

It probably converts to a submarine at sea but a real villain doesn’t let you know that until a climactic scene happens

8 Likes

I think it’s more akin to this:

3 Likes

7 Likes

In totally unrelated and coincidental news:

10 Likes

It’s a question of principle. The bridge is the symbol of a city almost completely destroyed in WW2. That’s why it was rebuilt after the bombing and why there were protests when it was going to be dismantled, and why it was made a national monument instead. Why should the people of Rotterdam take the indignity or having that symbol (temporarily) dismantled just so one person can have their will? It’s not like this is a hospital ship or a research vessel. It’s one person’s big toy and the commons have to suffer for it. It’s selfish and extremely insensitive, regardless of the financials.

16 Likes

Just tell him he can only play with his boat on the upstream side of the bridge.

4 Likes

BTW apparently there’s a second, “smaller” yacht (200+ ft) being built as a mini-me, to “support” the big throbbing one. It will house staff, and “overflow” guests.

3 Likes

Jesus. He’s got the holiday kiddie table version of a yacht.

9 Likes

I mean he literally is building a poop emoji building in NoVa:

1 Like

Having built other super yachts there, I’m fairly certain that Oceanco (and, thereby, Bezos) knew about the bridge height restriction well beforehand and planned on the dismantling.

7 Likes