Here comes the apocalypse: nuclear super villain's yacht being built "for the best and brightest"

Originally published at: Here comes the apocalypse: nuclear super villain's yacht being built "for the best and brightest" | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Why am I getting a major Golgafrincham vibe from this?
Golgafrincham | Hitchhikers | Fandom.

20 Likes

Isn’t a “yacht” a pleasure vessel by definition rather than a research ship?

Granted, I wouldn’t be that surprised if some scientists are just claiming they need a gigantic nuclear-powered research ship as an excuse to host a no-holds-barred Bacchanal Science Symposium at sea.

21 Likes

One issue is some men on the vessel have a hard time finding the observatory orb

16 Likes

Obviously a ripoff of the Spaceball 2003.

29 Likes

What “research” could they possibly be proposing that doesn’t involve dragging rusty mud caked cables all over the deck, ordering PCR primers and enzymes to be shipped express overnight, or spending 100 hours trying to get your microscope level and vibration free?

Whatever it is, sign me up for that.

23 Likes

“Aerodynamics” on a vessel this size is ridiculous concept, since it probably can’t move fast enough for the reduced wind resistance to matter. It does, however, remind me of something…
the-prisoner-ep-wobble-2

20 Likes

Aerodynamics isn’t just about making things go really fast. A slow-moving vessel will still use a lot more energy to maintain speed and heading if it’s fighting wind resistance than it will if the air flows around it.

11 Likes

That’s not a yacht. THIS is a yacht. Make sure to peep the 5 story video wall that can display any video/digital art! Luminosity

2 Likes

Yeah probably, although the people who design freighters don’t seem to think it’s worth the trouble. But it still seems more about looking cool than saving fuel.

3 Likes

It’s not often that a ship builder will name check the Titanic in their promotional material for a bigass boat.

19 Likes

So, how does one clean a giant, ship mounted glass orb at sea? That much hard to access or replace glass seems like a bad idea, especially since this is supposed to be a research vessel, not some light duty Mediterranean cruise ship.

12 Likes

Undoubtedly. Otherwise they’d save a lot of money by just buying one of the many existing used cruise ships for sale and refitting it for their needs.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats-for-sale/type-power/class-power-cruise-ship/

19 Likes

wherein rich assholes will discover amazing things and do some awesome research!

FIFY

6 Likes

“Expected to launch in 2025 […]”

Yeah, right.

12 Likes

Ideal for norovirus research!

16 Likes

I would love for the shrug gif to play, what am I doing wrong?

3 Likes

A nuclear-powered gigayacht longer than the Titanic

I can’t imagine what could go wrong with this

14 Likes

Excessive windage can also cause difficulties with maneuvering a ship that big, I bet, and probably cause it to sway in undesirable ways too when exposed to a crosswind.

After all, even stationary structures like skyscrapers need to be aerodynamically designed so that the wind doesn’t set off oscillations that cause them to collapse. It was wind (and a lack of attention to aerodynamics in the design) which caused the Tacoma Narrows bridge to collapse.

6 Likes

I wonder if anyone has ever thought to harness and direct the power of the wind to make large vessels move in the direction where they need them to go. /s

32 Likes