Here comes the apocalypse: nuclear super villain's yacht being built "for the best and brightest"

9 Likes

What type of climate research requires you to be on an expensive over engineered ship? Is there also a type of climate research can only be done from the penthouse of a luxury New York high-rise?

I’d also make some sarcastic comments about other really expensive places like beach front property in southern California or Hawaii, but those might actually have a good reason to do climate research there.

7 Likes

I wonder how much harm to the environment/climate is being perpetuated by unnecessary costs in the build to fit the sci-fi style.

7 Likes

Or do what OceanX did and refit an oil industry offshore survey vessel. The OceanXplorer is a beauty and probably much more economical.

21 Likes

Or several of the existing commercial survey vessels and be able to send different teams to different parts of the world simultaneously.

8 Likes

This is just the ship building version of vaporware, an advertisement for the firm. Literally no one plans to make it. Building architects do the same thing all the time, promote radical new designs that will “revolutionize” construction so they can get contracts to build boring fifty story blocks.

20 Likes

So there’s no actual super villain?

17 Likes

Do they have any actual climate scientists in mind, or is this just some ridiculous thing they say so that they can feel like they are saving the world with their ridiculous toy?

6 Likes

If whoever is writing the check here was serious about climate change and furthering meaningful and impactful research, they wouldn’t be spending this money on a boat.

6 Likes

You call it “research.” We call it “seasteading.”

2 Likes

Instead of the URL, just drag and drop the original image.
goldblumwhatevs

5 Likes

…because it’s spherical?

3 Likes

See, here’s the thing: a ship of that size needs folks to run the ship. Folks who can runs ships of that size tend not to be yachty types. So, Eloi/Morlock show will start pretty early, I figure.

3 Likes

Ahem. THIS is a yacht:

And THIS is a yacht:

I assumed that it would be constantly on fire as well.

4 Likes

If you’re nuclear powered it probably doesn’t matter, but aerodynamics can help save fuel (and therefore money) even at ship speeds:

10 Likes

I think we can import all the dick jokes from the Blue Origin thread over here for that thing.

8 Likes

Maritime quantum computing?

I may or may not be On A Boat m—f— don’t you ever forget it!

In that it’s a floating skateboard.

Rad!

Strong “Event Horizon” vibes but I can dig it.

3 Likes