Iron Maiden makes millions by touring countries where their music is most pirated

They’ve found a new subscriber.

Certainly if I were Metallica or Iron Maiden, this is the way I would approach it–it would be, you know, unseemly otherwise. But their millions give them a certain luxury that isn’t available to new or up-and-coming bands.

Pretty famous, but have you all read David Lowery on this?

Interesting not that he’s more hardcore on this, but rather that he’s had an evolution in his thinking. If you asked him five years ago, he would have been in “you can make it up with touring” camp. He’s not there now.

And yet, I still think of all the home taping I did as a kid, and all the used record stores I visited. I bought a bucnh of music in 2013, and illegally downloaded a bunch more. Other than knowing that some purchasing has to be part of the equation, I still don’t know where I stand.

Sure. But how many of their tours do you attend, and how much of their merch do you purchase? I suspect that for most bands having “fans” on the other side of the world doesn’t do much for their bottom line (especially in the context of this piece, where pirated music is seen as free advertising). Local radio play, local fans, and local concerts probably do a lot more in terms of gaining paying customers for these smaller bands.

I might buy a CD, or a song - something that would not have happened otherwise.

1 Like

Can I like this twice? Three times? Fantastic sir.

1 Like

Maiden’s bread and butter has been in South America well before bit torrent. This also fails to say where Maiden is selling physical copies the most (hint, it’s South America).

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.