Is it hypocritical for free speech advocates to moderate comments on their own site?

EDIT: Found the thread: Men's rights meltdown at McDonalds - #165 by Missy_Pants

In other words, you’re still mad about being mocked by other users in a 220-post topic for your handwringing over a post you did not like (“it’s wrong to post this on the internet to humiliate him”) complete with a Dr. Google diagnosis of mental illness, which was rightfully ridiculed in turn for its sanctimonious and plainly censorious attitude by other people, none of whom were me.

The thread wasn’t closed when I said it was “using up enough oxygen,” either. It was closed later after becoming completely derailed. Perhaps, when I said that, you felt it had been closed? (This should tell you something about how underlying power imbalances tend to sit in the air, irrespective of policy…)

But hey, you should be happy! You got what you wanted: something removed from the internet on grounds that turned out to be largely specious.

A good reminder that we have no power to offer you the guarantee of unfettered free speech you persist in suggesting we provide, but not enjoy.

(“entitled infant” is a fair characterization of people who think they have a human right to have their commentary published on other people’s websites because those people advocate for free speech.)

21 Likes