Is it hypocritical for free speech advocates to moderate comments on their own site?

I like blocking people. It feels good. And they get to keep being dumbasses and I get to keep not seeing it. Win win. No reason for anyone to speak ill of it. Every website should have it.

6 Likes

As an autistic person (not a ā€œperson with autismā€ or a ā€œperson who has autismā€ or other such language-torturing bullshit) no no no please no.

I donā€™t feel like itā€™s taking away my humanity or whatever if one uses an appropriate adjective when necessary. Besides, policing what I call myself without any regard to my say in the matter kind of makes you a person with assholishness

8 Likes

3 Likes

Hey since heā€™s one of oursā€¦ just thought Id throw in some Canada facts about ā€œfreeā€ speechā€¦ cuz uhā€¦ we dont have that here. Like at all.

Freedom of speech in Canada is protected as a ā€œfundamental freedomā€ by Section 2 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Freedom of speech in Canada is not absolute; Section 1 of the Charter allows the government to pass laws that limit free expression so long as the limits are reasonable and can be justified.

And thats not even getting into our hate speech laws.

Canada is a moderated country. And we kind of like it that way.

15 Likes

I think you missed the comicā€™s point entirely.

8 Likes

Brilliant! That should be required reading prior to posting as a new account. And maybe an annual reminder post, too.

8 Likes

I only claim that I appreciate the brilliance in that post. It explains so much, and was penned by an experienced hand (one with more patience and quicker wisdom than my own). TNH was a mod here for a long time, and a lot of the community norms now are echoes of her tenure.

7 Likes

Oh, I know. Iā€™m one of many who miss her posts here greatly, and have followed her on her subsequent path.

6 Likes

This is one of those articles that is better as a series of Twitter posts. Each sentence is worth reading and thinking about in isolation before moving on.

4 Likes

That was actually spot on, thanks for sharing it.*

This part particularly resonated as being true, of pretty much every forum that Iā€™ve ever been on:

What I finally figured out is that the content isnā€™t the point. In a sense, itā€™s arbitrary.

What matters (to them) is whether the other people in the discussion give them respect and attention for having these opinions.

You canā€™t model the situation to them as ā€œyou are one member of a group thatā€™s having a conversation.ā€

Instead, ā€œyouā€™re unjustly depriving them of their right to be respected, admired, and the center of attention.ā€

*She almost makes me wish I was on Twitter, just so I could like her comments.

Almost.

9 Likes

Of course Canada has free speech laws. Thereā€™s been a few times where people have suggested by using the term ā€œfree speechā€ Iā€™m referring to my entitlement or right, but Iā€™m not. That American comic talks about the right to free speech, so I thought I should specify what I mean because free speech means different things to different people.

I think the comic is saying donā€™t complain about your right to free speech just because others donā€™t want to listen to assholes. Iā€™m not commenting on rights at all. Iā€™m asking why they have a running commentary on Facebookā€™s policy, when they have an arguably more strict policy here. Maybe I did miss the comicā€™s point entirely though. What do you think I missed?

Iā€™ve (rather crudely) removed a bunch of arguing thatā€™s getting too personal. Any more of it will get ā€¦

ā€¦ ļ¼£ļ¼„ļ¼®ļ¼³ļ¼Æļ¼²ļ¼„ļ¼¤

17 Likes

And this has been answered a few times. Re-read @codinghorrorā€™s reply above Iā€™m too lazy to find and link to.

5 Likes

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do. He may as well concern himself with his shadow on the wall.

#DO I CONTRADICT MYSELF? VERY WELL, THEN I CONTRADICT MYSELF, I AM LARGE, I CONTAIN MULTITUDES.

13 Likes

#[CITATION NEEDED] 

4 Likes

This feels less like rational debate, and more like personal attacks, friend. Iā€™ve never been met with such hatred for having a different opinion.

Heā€™s been portraying BoingBoing in a negative light.

Thatā€™s why heā€™s been banned and all of his posts deleted.

Iā€™ve acknowledged that. We can respectfully disagree without making this personal.

Whoah. Iā€™d say the opposite.

FB just has a larger and more diverse user-base.

AFAIK, one can post photos of breast-feeding (and other ā€œNSFWā€ images) within the bowels of the BBS and not get the picture ganked.

9 Likes