Is it hypocritical for free speech advocates to moderate comments on their own site?

#startupIdeas

1 Like

As long as you keep trying to bait him into hitting you, why should he leave?

3 Likes

You are a horrible person.

Can we be friends?

3 Likes

I did read that subsequent to posting, and liked it.

However, you threw this gigantic boner:

Since you are objectively portraying BoingBoing in a negative light in this thread, how do you reconcile that statement with the continued existence of your account and posts?

Is my mocking of your inconsistent statement personal? I suppose so. Donā€™t write such stupid things, and I wonā€™t mock them. AFAIK you are responsible for your own actions, and there is little shame in me mocking those that are mockful.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve personally never seen honest criticism censored here. Just look at the many posts bitching about sponsored content. Trolls will be eaten, though.

13 Likes

Iā€™ve seen ā€˜Concern Trollā€™ used as a term. Iā€™m not sure if that means a troll pretending to be concerned or a concerned citizen who feels a matter is urgent, even though many people feel itā€™s not.

5 Likes

Concern Troll Rational-Wiki Article

Quick summary: An internet trolley whose chosen tactic is as follows: have a ā€œconcernā€ over how his chosen targets are doing ā€œa thingā€ (such as site moderation), and provokes a discussion on that thing in order to suggest impractical or silly ā€œreformsā€ in order to waste peopleā€™s time and attentionā€“all for his own amusement and being the center for attention.

9 Likes

For every picture featuring nudity that gets ganked on FB, how many thousands of memes with questionable truths are posted? How many of these snarky sniping at various groups would allowed to stay up on BBS? The blatant rudeness and vulgarity about something sucking? Hell the victim blaming alone would send Falcor into a fit.

You can find niches that the BBS allows that FB wont, but in terms of shear volume and type, FB wins.

They are probably working on a robot that strokes something else. I imagine an ego feature will be part of the deluxe package.

1 Like

I have epilepsy from brain damage. I canā€™t drive, so itā€™s disabling in some ways. But personally, I wouldnā€™t like being called ā€œhandicappedā€, or a ā€œdisabled personā€. I refer to myself as ā€œan epilepticā€, but Iā€™m not a disabled person.

Anything else thats ā€˜enabledā€™ or ā€˜disabledā€™ is usually all or nothing. You can have a disabled security system, or a disabled wireless router, what about a disabled person? The implication is that those items are now no longer functional. Thatā€™s why many people prefer, ā€œperson with a disabilityā€.

2 Likes

fair points

Having a go at explaining my POV politely, and then asking him nicely (not rudely) to stop because it was devolving and that I couldnā€™t tell if he were here in good faith got me yet more messages misquoting me AND then a PM from him which I called falcor in on immediatelyā€¦ Come on bro. When you tell someone you canā€™t tell theyā€™re serious and they immediately repeat themselves and blame you for misunderstanding and then claim youā€™re attacking themā€¦ You never defend yourself with some oomph before you walk away? Sure you do! Please remember this thread has been moderated.

Also, nobody was hitting anyone.

3 Likes

The problem with throwing around terms like concern troll is you canā€™t know someoneā€™s intentions. Do you know how we look back humanityā€™s behaviour of the past with disbelief? For example, it used to be a perfectly normal form of punishment to torture criminals (and witches) in the town square. It used to be acceptable to force minorities to use separate washrooms or sit at the back of the bus?

At different points, people spoke up about those issues, and I bet you any money they were met with a similar criticism to ā€œconcern trollā€. They were accused of rocking the boat, suggesting ā€œsilly reformsā€ to the norm before anything changed.

And thereā€™s no way to disprove that title. Thatā€™s an argument from ignorance. You have no proof that Iā€™m not a concern troll, therefor I must be a concern troll.

I think one of the things we do today that weā€™ll look back on as incredibly cruel is public humiliation on the internet. Iā€™ve studied it, and I donā€™t think most people realize how harmful it is. I admittedly found the commentary about Miss South Carolina Teen USA 2007 funny at first, but since reading her side of the story, including depression, thoughts of suicide, and being abandoned by people closest to her, Iā€™ve changed my mind. We post this humiliation without knowing anything of the personā€™s circumstances, or considering the impact it will have. She was just a teenage girl, and collectively, we made her life hell. Being on the internet doesnā€™t make it ok, it makes it worse.

If you saw bullies post some of this mockery on her school bulletin board, that would be really mean! Imagine amplifying that by a thousand fold. she was unable to escape the attention. The internet dehumanizes us, so it makes that cruelty ok.

I would now say itā€™s never ok to humiliate someone like that, even if they were drunk one night talking to a cop ( @beschizza ), or caught pleasuring themselves in a public washroom, because itā€™s cruel and unusual punishment. Itā€™s important that we talk about things like this in the places where itā€™s relevant.

1 Like

Right on. Good. Iā€™m impressed you would cut and paste my comments together, I donā€™t ever want to be that much work. I look at comment moderation like I look at seagulls at this restaurant I worked at years back. Once in a while staff had to go out and say ā€œeff off seagulls, youā€™re bugging peopleā€. As a seagull here I donā€™t resent being shooed. As a rule I donā€™t complain about free milkshakes, and Iā€™m not one to tell the band how to play their instruments.

6 Likes

i also think that bb ā€“ even with the bbs ā€“ centers around its blog.

facebook was never a zine. apart from ads, it has no content of its own.

its whole mission is to make money enable interpersonal communication. so, questions around what they remove ( selfies while breastfeeding ) are more central than here on bb. irrespective of user count.

itā€™s also interesting in that users are already ā€œprotectedā€ on facebook in a way that doesnā€™t seem to require invasive moderation.

on bb, even if you were to block a user ( can you? ) or flag a post, once youā€™re on the site, content is manually opt out. there is a risk you may see someone post something harmful or noxious before it is moderated away.

on fb, itā€™s manually opt in. you donā€™t have to see what those crazy norwegians are posting unless you really want to.

8 Likes

4 Likes

Have met quite a few Norwegians whilst working abroad and found them absolutely wonderful people, not a bit crazy!

OK there was Eric who worked as a nuclear physicist in Norway and after getting a bit tipsy told me exactly how much fissionable material in Kgs was required to sustain a thermonuclear reaction, back in the day when it was still a secret.

So OK maybe one or two?

So after selling my secret to Kim Jong-il and the DPRK I sit here on my private island sipping Martiniā€™s reading about the nuclear tests they are doing with pride!

NSA etcā€¦ only joking guys!

7 Likes

4 Likes

We owe the Hoth scenes to Norway and Norwegian Mountain Rescue Skiers for the extras.

5 Likes

As is Australia, the EU, and just about everywhere else that isnā€™t the USA.

The rest of the world is not living in desperate envy of Americaā€™s freeze peach absolutism. Weā€™ve seen where it leads, and have made a reasoned decision that it is not a good idea.

Should there be a basic principle encoded in law that freedom of expression should be encouraged where reasonably possible? Sure. Does that require giving free reign to malicious slander, murderous hatemongering, fraud, sadism and corruption? No.

Every country deals with these issues slightly differently, and there are legitimate grounds for criticism in many places. But that does not imply that extremism is therefore correct.

The world is complicated and grey. Black-and-white absolutism does not provide an effective means of dealing with it.

11 Likes