Is it OK to torture a robot?

I just tend to be annoyed to those who want to show off how “good” they are, how they “think about issues”, and know nothing about the underlying reality. And quite often decide about money flow, or even make laws. Or at least attempt to shape the discourse.

Okay with me as long as it does not stay in the way of engineering/R&D.

…which it rather often does, as way too many “ethicists” don’t have problems with prosthetic technology but suddenly it gets Wrong when the same tech is intended to enhance capabilities of “healthy” people. And annoying with questions like what is to be human, which don’t have answers anyway, at least not based on anything else but crazy handwaving. Of course, philosophers have mortgages too, so it is somewhat understandable, but neverthless they are acting as roadblocks and should be steamrolled over. Which is why we need lots of small labs where individuals or little teams can do the job with cheap, affordable instrumentation and locally synthetized pharmaceuticals (where needed), outside of the reach of influence of such old farts with an agenda and/or a warm chair in some committee.

…while military is usually already working on it, but in secrecy and with civilians benefiting with way too many years of delay…

Hopefully not at all. Or at least hopefully they will be as easy to ignore as downloading a file and running an installer.

Who have the freedom to not look.

As long as they won’t do more than just scream in powerless concern, it’s okay. It becomes worse when they start getting actual power.

Which is wrong. Politicos have no business to stick their grubby paws and snotty noses into what happens in the heads of people, and by extension in their writings and animated 3d models. Thoughtcrime is thoughtcrime.

Which is badly wrong.

Given the past behavior of various do-gooders, I expect it to at least locally be a matter of “when”. Then they wonder why they are so despised.

Deregulate the virtual and deregulate it NOW.

I am actually thinking about a peripheral, a configurable chassis that could be adapted to mostly any kind of a gun or rifle, with a pneumatic cylinder that’d simulate recoil, and a set of sensors for position/orientation reading. For immersive VR games or training scenarios. Could be quite popular as an alternative to having to go to shooting ranges and spend money on ammo. And is likely to piss off quite a range of hoplophobes and do-gooders. If most of the mechanics is 3d-printable and the electronics uses either webcam tracking of light points or those cheap 6 or 9 degree-of-freedom sensor boards for quadcopters or a laser pointer and a webcam or anything else that’s few-$ from Aliexpress, attempting to restrict its availability could be a popcorn-worthy exercise in futility.

“What do you feel when shooting virtual people?”
“Recoil.”