Is Rabbit R1 just an Android app running on generic Android hardware?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/06/rabbit-r1-claimed-to-be-an-android-app-running-on-generic-android-hardware.html

3 Likes

The problem isn’t the crime, it’s the coverup.

8 Likes

If you can’t demonstrate why your new gizmo is useful right out of the box then why should anyone be bothered to buy one?

11 Likes

I think its an interesting concept but it is seriously the kind of thing that’s in search of a solution to a problem no one has. Even if its were just an app i would have no incentive or desire to try it out

3 Likes

Well that’s clearly your fault for not seeing the potential! /s

Seriously, I really fucking hate engineers with that attitude. It’s unfortunately way too common, and it has given a lot of people the impression that all engineers are like this, but they aren’t. Just the bad ones. Sadly, there are a lot of bad engineers in the world, especially in the tech/app/AI world. And also a lot of outright scammers who are pretending to be engineers.

8 Likes

I like the Betteridge-defying headline

8 Likes

And like the end of the BB article, the answer is pretty obvious:

The problem is not that Rabbit R1 is just an Android app in a box. The problem is that it’s crap.

3 Likes

I also wanted to post a review by Marques Brownlee

His final words on the review sum everything up nicely, it’s something to the effect of buy a product or device on what it is and what it can do today and not what it is promising it can do tomorrow. This goes for a lot of tech products, a lot of folks bought Teslas early on because of a lot of their promises of what the car could do in the near future… you know… stuff they’ve since changed their mind on but that still charged people for. This device and similar ones are a lot of the same, they’re promising a lot on what AI can do some day but as of today they’re a waste of everyone’s time.

5 Likes

Scammers, venture cap investors, the job description is the same.

3 Likes

Product development tip: if you solve a real person’s real problem, they don’t care what it runs on.

6 Likes

If the R1 was an Android OS and a working single purpose app it wouldn’t even be a crime.

People don’t tend to complain that streaming sticks are Android OS and an app to provide an interface.

They would
If they didn’t actually stream though.

3 Likes

Solution in search of a problem describes too much of modern computer tech, both in hardware & software.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.