Is the smartwatch fad over?

apple harvests and recycles 85% of each iphone they get through their buyback program, so maybe it’s not nearly as horrifying as you think.

7 Likes

I am waiting for the smart ankle bracelet which will control all the IoT devices in my house.

8 Likes

Thanks, that’s good to know. (I remain horrified due to my personal assessment of the costs and benefits, mainly because I think the human footprint on our environment is already too great, and we should be reducing it, not expanding it. And with that I’m well off topic.)

8 Likes

Unfortunately, not that many since Dick Tracy left popular consciousness.

7 Likes

Smartwatches are great. I don’t miss calls and my ringer is always off.

Whenever I hear other people’s phones make noise for a call, text, notification… I want to tell then to get a smartwatch and stop disturbing others. Especially at the movies or a seminar.

4 Likes

No. You’re right on the money there, I think.

3 Likes

If it is, maybe I’ll finally be able to pick one up at a price I can afford!

4 Likes

And announces to your central control system when you’ve left a certain area, providing a polite reminder of inefficiencies in your routine after passing certain boundaries…and then calls the police when you’ve gone outside accepted behavioral norms.

For your own safety, I’m sure.

5 Likes

i agree about our footprint being massive, and that we should do much better. i just know that apple really works hard for their green ratings, especially because everyone like to jump on them for so many things. i just wanted to offer a bit of balance. to be on topic, though, even as a lifelong apple user i am not on board with their watch just yet – i think the tech needs to be a bit more there… if i could just carry my watch and not need my phone to do things with it, then i’d be into it. having to carry two devices is too much for me, even though i think the health-related aspects of it are definitely ground-changing.

6 Likes

If they solve the battery issues with having a radio built into the phone to fully decouple them, you’ll then have another monthly bill to cover the data costs on the watch.

3 Likes

Cool, I get what you’re saying.

1 Like

yeah, i know. i’m hoping for eventually getting rid of the phone entirely.

2 Likes

“Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-two million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital smart watches are a pretty neat idea.”

17 Likes

I feel like that with smartphones and tablets. I’m still looking for one that doesn’t feel significantly less capable than my laptop.

I prefer to reduce and reuse before recycling. Give me replaceable batteries over thinness (this applies to all companies, not just Apple).

That’s good to hear. My ancestors were clock and watch makers. I’m not a watch wearer myself, i never remember to put them on in the morning, but I can appreciate them as a piece of functional jewellry.

3 Likes

No thank you very much. Wearing wristwatches as if we were wage laborers, the idea. No my fine Sir, I will settle for no less than a monocle of the finest Google glass!

7 Likes

My dumb watch suits me just fine. It’s huge, and it does only one thing. I’ve thought about programming it to do other stuff, but it’s rather difficult to get the Nixie tubes to display anything other than the digits 00-59.

5 Likes

Smartwatches were a fad? Ehhh.

Hula hoops were a fad. Cabbage Patch kids, rubix cubes and Beanie Babies were fads.

Smartwatches barely crested into marketing gimmick territory.

4 Likes

Text messages in ASCII!

…in Octal?

4 Likes
6 Likes

I’m looking at buying the Withings Steel HR when it comes out for my everyday watch. It’s a hybrid, with fitness tracking and very minimal call and text notifications built into a nice-looking analogue watch with a 25-day battery life. Hybrid watches like this make more sense to me, and with all the basics I doubt I’ll feel the need to upgrade for a long time.

I have automatic mechanical watches for other occasions. I love the precision and craftsmanship and design of those pieces, which were used long before and will be used long after any whatever series of bloated ugly watch that Apple puts out.

3 Likes