Is the smartwatch fad over?

Can it play Pacman?

2 Likes

I own and occasionally wear a Breitling (the wannabe test pilot model) that was given to me as a gift back in the early '80s. It still does everything its newest descendants can, keeps splendid time, and is possibly worth more today in real terms than when it was new.

I’ll probably wear it another twenty years, and one of my kids will inherit it. In the meantime, smart watch fans will probably buy six? ten? a dozen? smart watches, discarding each as it becomes obsolete.

What I’m doing seems to me to be the very definition of “sustainability”. Plus, I’d much rather cosplay Chuck Yeager than Steve Jobs.

6 Likes

Hey, cool, they’re closer to making a true hybrid smartwatch than I thought.

Now they just need to put functionality that I would want into it, and make it comfortable to wear.

2 Likes

I should definitely add notifications to my list of needs. I am that kind of person who can look at a reminder, and then if something catches my attention, it is wiped clean like Momento (I’m sure I’m in good company being “attention challenged” on the bbs). so convenient, haptic reminders of even little things would be pretty crucial for me.

2 Likes

I’m rocking this little thing on my left wrist currently:

It cost all of $2.55 so I’ve bought a bunch in various colours for gifts. Kids love 'em. They’re blank until you fingernail the little button, then get classic three-phase digital watch functions.

Only drawback is people keep thinking it’s a Fitbit. Then they look at my midriff and realise their mistake.

7 Likes

Like these?

I don’t think the fad will even begin until they start having really useful functionality…and a fusion battery that lasts forever.

10 Likes

With a built in lodestone no less! Track fitness, pshaw!, this thing creates fitness through the magic of magnetism!

2 Likes

The term smartwatch can encompass many devices from basic fitness to full wrist computer. I think smarter watches are cool, but then again I think tech for tech’s sake is pretty cool. I wear a garmin watch with GPS that actually looks like a fairly normal “adventure” watch, albeit a large one. It’s not as “smart” as google wear pieces or an apple watch, but it tracks activities well independent of phone connection, lasts a week or so between charges, has basic notification mirroring, and - this is admittedly low bar but I enjoy it - changing up watch faces.

I think the huge hype for smart watches has waned but there continues to be creep towards a greater variety of smartwatch like devices.

1 Like

Magnets, how do they work? etc. :wink:

For a second I didn’t know what you were referring to, then I remembered the strap clasp closes magnetically. Seems reasonably secure too!

“A++++ Would buy again that for a dollar”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.