It's 2018, and Google just proposed an instant messaging tool with no encryption

I’m thinking along the lines of a possible techno-fascist regime around the corner, where anyone who hasn’t always displayed apathy towards the scum might be at some sort of risk…

In which case, we’re screwed anyway, but hey.

Your only real solution there is to encrypt on a device you control, either something small scale, with only your software, or in your head. And your encrypted text needs to look like a normal message, at least to automated filters.

Kind of like maybe substituting the names of reality tv stars for the authorities?

Oh wait…

1 Like

This isn’t a new IM program or service but a protocol extension to the existing sms system. Since it is cross-carrier there is no central way of holding the keys. I expect the cat-herding of just getting this agreed to was hard enough.

Also note this isn’t over the public internet but over the back channels of the carriers … yeah, not secure against stingray or the like but it is unlikely to be grabbed from a starbucks wifi hotspot.

Tricky, It isin’t a service from one provider but an extension to SMS. No central authority to hold keys like an imessage.

It’s funny how things go round and round. PGP back in the day was designed to solve this very issue. You have unreliable carriers and no centralised way to do it so users just swap keys amongst themselves. Of course the technology is obsolete now but it was never anything except “pretty good” privacy. And more importantly, very few people bothered.

With all the data Google collects about me, I think they could manage to also hold on to my public key. I’m fine with them being the central authority.

You would be … But Verizion and AT&T would be less interested.

Is contempt evil?

If they want a copy of my public key as well, I’m okay with that. Anybody that wants a copy can have a copy.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.