It's not ok to use the term "slave," and the "B" in Black should be capitalized

Silly man; you should have just asked…

18 Likes

She says “Black with a capital B refers to people of the African diaspora” but - I’m sure she also calls dark skinned people in Africa Black.

Trying to use racial terms to describe non-race-based groups falls apart, eventually. It’s just too easy to fall into the old racial uses based on the debunked biological model. If only African diaspora people are Black - what do we call dark skinned Africans? Are they Black when they visit the United States, but just black when they get back home?

Racism has to be addressed, and it has to be stopped wherever we can - but this does not do that.

2 Likes

My film professor from Ghana preferred the term Black Africans.

17 Likes

Whatever they prefer to be called, I suppose.

34 Likes

A co-worker from Burkina Faso said he didn’t understand all the race stuff in the U.S. He said in Burkina Faso most people thought of themselves as Mande or Mossi, rather than a racial identity. He had to deal with American casual racism every day, and thought it was very, very odd. He called himself a Mossi American, which no one here understood at all.

12 Likes

Oh, noes; heaven forbid that Black people have any agency over any aspect of their own existence!

26 Likes

I find that odd myself, considering all the shit going down in South Africa or other countries being exploited for minerals and such.

5 Likes

Even owners of a certain restaurant chain didn’t get that memo.

20 Likes

And btw, I should look it up before potentially showing my arse (or just watch the Oprahand Coates video), but I’m also put out by “slaveowner.” To me its usage implies that people can indeed “own” others, which is of course totes BS.

15 Likes

Interesting question. I might speculate that, just as White Europeans would probably prefer being referred to a German, French or Italians, Black Africans might prefer to be referred to as Nigerians, Kenyans or Ugandans. Or, alternatively, as Bantu, Huti or San. But the easiest answer would probably be to speak to whichever individual you are referring to and ask. Just speculating and all, you know.

22 Likes

I once wished my Venezuelan friend a Happy New A**hole!

6 Likes

Which is why I tend to use “slaveholder”. Or just “slaver”.

It describes the situation neatly, and assigns agency where it should be.

15 Likes

I can’t say I’ve ever heard of a dark skinned person from the Indian subcontinent, Pacific Islands, Oceania, Middle East, or anywhere else being referred to as “black”. It seems like an Americanism to use that term to refer people that (appear to be) of Sub-Saharan ancestry. But, it’s a big and diverse country and my experiences aren’t necessarily representative of everyone’s. Grain of salt and all that.

6 Likes

This is one case where, IMHO, the title makes sense. These assholes literally owned slaves and should be labelled as such, as too many times in history slaveowners and slave plantations were attempted to be whitewashed or diminished. These people really did own slaves. Those slaves were property and treated as such.

IMHO that terrible truth should never be diminished by changing that language, short of Black culture declaring a language preference otherwise.

17 Likes

I’ve been seeing “Black+” a lot (especially at work) in order to include people who identify as a mix of Black and other backgrounds.

1 Like

Could you recommend some Gollywood films? It’s incredible to see what open source software has done for young creatives in West Africa.
Did your professor ever use the term Oburoni?

1 Like

Sociopaths

Frankly, I can’t say anymore. I graduated in 2002.

However, I found a few lists of contemporary films out of Ghana, and a couple of co-productions with Nigeria that look interesting.

3 Likes

So Scientific :roll_eyes:

10 Likes

I raised a few eyebrows in Mexico with my very basic Spanish as well.

It turns out ‘Yo tengo calor’ (I am hot) is very different from ‘Yo estoy caliente’ (I am aroused). What can I say, it was hot outside and my Spanish was/is terrible.

5 Likes