It's ok for dead men to donate sperm, according to medical ethics study

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/21/its-ok-for-dead-men-to-donat.html

1 Like

Should the headline be:

“It’s ok to take a dead man’s sperm, according to medical ethics study.”

7 Likes

Ah, to stand at the forefront of cutting edge ethical technology! I do hope that the study was double blinded, so that families receiving sperm donations did not know whether the father had predeceased the spermatozoa.

5 Likes

I think I’m more surprised by the idea that there could be a sperm shortage. I guess there’s a high bar for little swimmers to pass?

9 Likes

Does Britain have weird laws about sperm donation that make it undesirable? Is there a chance the father has to pay child support on kids conceived with his sperm maybe? It’s hard to imagine there is a shortage of willing donors under a sensible system.

5 Likes

Can someone please google ‘electroejaculation’ for me?

6 Likes

The retrieval of semen by electrical stimulation of the prostate. Electroejaculation is used to obtain sperm from men who are unable to ejaculate

5 Likes

Ah, that explains those magazines at the clinic…

1 Like

Like a cattle prod to the balls, basically.

Aside from the obvious and deeply concerning lack of CONSENT, my question is this: how long can the sperm survive once the person containing them has died?

6 Likes

While I understand that is a valid scientific question, I really pity the people who have to test this to find out :nauseated_face:

4 Likes

I thought it was like organ donation–you consent before you die.

A study published in the Journal of Medical Ethics Monday proposed that men should be able to “register their desire to donate their sperm after death for use by strangers.”

13 Likes

Word; I can’t quite fathom ever wanting any ‘dead man sperm’ to begin with.

You’re correct; I caught that after I posted my first comment, upon closer reading.

It’s still a hard pass for me, though.

6 Likes

“Dead beat Dad.”

22 Likes

THERE IS A LAW & ORDER EPISODE THAT COVERS THIS! :smile:

11 Likes

This raises the possibility that dead men could donate their sperm after death. In broad strokes, we envisage men indicating during life that they have a preference to donate sperm after death. Following death, sperm is extracted, stored in fertility clinics and made available to those requiring donor sperm. We assume that safety and quality standards would be equivalent to donation during life. We will not outline specific policy details like standards of consent, donor anonymity, family veto, and so forth. While these questions are important, they do not provide a knock-down objection to the idea of non-directive postmortem sperm donation; one could agree generally with the idea of non-directive postmortem sperm donation while disagreeing with the specifics of a policy.

1 Like

Of course there is; Ice T probably knows some kind of street slang name for it.

13 Likes

Their 2nd album was amazing, but once they all got off drugs their music got a bit blase.

7 Likes

IIRC, the cynical doctor called it “prostate milking”.

5 Likes

“Broad strokes,” indeed! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Literally.

8 Likes