It's possible to be paralyzed by choice

6 Likes

“control expectations to a certain standard of requirements, and keep them reasonable.”
I say wake up with low expectations , stay happy: Every day vertical is a good day.

8 Likes

This is totally off the topic, and might even be more of what you’ve already heard, but I give lots of bike advice.

Just ride them.

Figure out your budget, go to a place with bikes and ride them, bike shop, craigslist ads, yard sales, whatever. When you’ve ridden a several bikes (just 6 or 7 probably) you’ll get an idea of what’s comfortable and what’s not. When you get on the right bike, it’ll speak to you.

It took me 2 years to find my cruiser bike. Stopped at a rando yard sale and sat on it. I always felt cramped or laid back on a cruiser style bike, but this one I didn’t.

So, on topic. I guess that advice, when generalized, becomes: just start.*

*My only direct knowledge here is perhaps spending too much time on a bike. Adjust your use of any advice I give accordingly.

9 Likes

Yeah…

1. No tags anywhere.
  2. I found one picture of the bag from someone bragging about all the swag they got at that conference.
  3. I would be lying if I said I hadn’t considered contacting them. But I don’t think I want to be burdening other people because of my eccentricities. I mean, I do that enough with just my normal every day behavior.

Really, there are a lot of nice bags out there. At this point I need to just pick one.

6 Likes

This x1M! :hugs:

4 Likes

Is that the part number of a new bike or laptop bag? :wink:

5 Likes

You are not alone!

7 Likes

The internet has exacerbated the problem, allowing us to spend days researching any purchase, comparing features and reading endless reviews by untrustworthy and/or ignorant strangers.

I don’t like to shop , so the concept of “satisficing” — deciding on a “good enough” option and not worrying about it again — has a lot of appeal for me.

Kevin Kelly has decided that that means Costco. :grin:

5 Likes

…and skip the cereal aisle. Whenever somebody mentions too many choices, that’s the first place that comes to my mind. I used to wonder if people just got stuck in there, endlessly comparing products.

Years ago, I decided that repetition is not a bad thing. It can save a lot of time and reduce stress. Eating the same thing for certain meals or coming up with a small set of choices kept me from wasting hours planning menus and preparing a variety of foods. Instead of poring over recipes and searching for ingredients (just for the sake of eating something different), I try new things when going out to eat with friends.

10 Likes

Of those 30 tabs you have open, the seventh from the right is by far the best bag. You should absolutely get that one and immediately close all other tabs. You won’t regret it. Trust me.

You’re welcome.

10 Likes

I would find out if there’s a good local shop that might help you put together a bike or restore/build up a bike. I’ve considered doing that myself, i’m incredibly picky and i had the same problem with the thought of buying a bike. At least here in Austin i know there’s a non-profit place that puts together bikes for people in need and if you volunteer a certain amount of hours putting together bikes at the end you get to build your own bike. Likely not something that exists everywhere but i do like the idea of learning to build and maintain my own :slight_smile:

3 Likes

One of the best things about being a vegetarian is that it drastically simplifies your choices when going out to eat. When I was a meat eater I could stare at a menu in a restaurant for 20 minutes, unable to choose what I wanted to eat. Now it’s just like, I can only have these three things, and it makes my life so much easier at that moment of time.

4 Likes

These days I’m seriously considering flipism.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D3ip8HXWwAEEtQB?format=jpg&name=900x900

https://inducks.org/story.php?c=W+WDC+149-01

2 Likes

When I started to get like that I made a decision that I wouldn’t buy any new games until I’d played all the ones I currently own. Play it for a couple of hours, if I like it then commit to finishing it and if not then move on to the next one.

Interestingly, once I got into it I found it much easier to resist buying a new thing because I’ve got so many old things to finish going through.

5 Likes

PICARD: What is it?
CRUSHER: I’m not sure whether we should go over this hill or that one. The topography on this map is a little vague.
PICARD: Let me see. This way.
CRUSHER: You don’t really know, do you?
PICARD: What?
CRUSHER: I mean, you’re acting like you know exactly which way to go, but you’re only guessing. Do you do this all the time?
PICARD: No, but there are times when it is necessary for a captain to give the appearance of confidence.

16 Likes

I find grocery shopping actual quite easy, apart from when I have to find a specific item, when someone sent me to get it.

I either pick the brand I know and like and I care little, when it is only a bit more expensive than another one or brand x. But mostly I choose organic of free range, mainly for ideological reasons, or I pick the cheapest product.

2 Likes

My problem when eating out is that more often than not the vegetarian options just don’t look as good as everything else on the menu, are overpriced for what it is or its something i know won’t really satisfy me. It’s not universally true everywhere but it happens with enough frequency that i’ve stopped fussing about the vegetarian options and just eat what looks good to me regardless if it has meat or not. At home i’m more strict about eating vegetarian :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I agree wholeheartedly. If you don’t start your day with your basic decisions premade, you will somehow find a way to screw up these decisions, either because it’s bound to happen or because you think “what the hell, a tan suit will be fun” :confused:

3 Likes

And every horizontal day is a better day.

I’ll show myself out

6 Likes

Depends on how strict you are. I’ve started to become a workday vegetarian, i.e. no meat from Monday to Friday except leftovers. The leftover exception is because the free range chickens I get locally once in a while are so big that they are impossible to finish. But if I lapse, I don’t fret and simply reduce meat on weekends.

Edit: this is also relevant because of decision fatigue, somewhat. The local company cafeteria isn’t very good. Local restaurants too expensive for what they deliver. So I started preparing five servings of fresh salad (produce, beans , maize, egg, tofu), vacuum it and am done for the week. Not cheaper than the cafeteria, but of better quality and no meat from doubtful sources.

3 Likes