It's really easy to steal your cellphone number, and that's a gateway to stealing everything else

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/05/thanks-nctue.html

2 Likes

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau should really look into this… oh, wait… never mind.

14 Likes

Ah, wonderful. Yet another fraud vector that I hadn’t even thought about before.

This is certainly a wonderful thing. I’m glad it has been brought to my attention. Especially the knowledge that it’s hard to prove your innocence and fight the charges.

I will now return to my attempt at making my office larger by slowly knocking down the wall behind my desk using repeated blows from my head.

4 Likes

The home of Bouncing Bentley

(As you were…)

3 Likes

Text ROBME to 85843 to receive FREE information on how to protect yourself!

2 Likes

I just want them to track down this “Scam Likely” character and tell him to stop calling me. I swear he calls me 10-20 times a day. Who the heck would name their kid that anyway? What an odd name.

5 Likes

Yes, SMS or email-based 2FA is a lazy kludge.

I’m not sure what the barrier is for anyone to use Google Authenticator (or any timed token system) but it can’t be that bad. I have a few services using it. Maybe sites are just worried about the perception of added inconvenience (oh, I need to install another app?) but I feel like people will adapt while getting the benefit of proper 2FA.

(Ok, now cue someone telling me how GA is flawed and easily exploited)

A simple way to minimize your risk is to NEVER use your phone for online banking or purchases. Also disable NFC and Bluetooth. Using a VPN on public wi-fi helps too.

I’ve been trying to sell some stuff on kijiji, and about 80% of the inquiries very quickly get to “what’s your cell number”, and then stop abruptly when I refuse to provide it. I thought I was being paranoid thinking about phishing scams. This article makes me feel… uh… better? Sort of.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.