It's the criminal economy, stupid!

Marital problems? Status? They enjoy the adrenaline rush of commodities trading? There are a million reasons people do things to excess.

1 Like

Too true :cry:

2 Likes

But has the battle really already reached its end?

3 Likes

Taxes and laws are for poor people. ā€œWhy should those dirty fucking parasites get any of the grotesque wealth I earned (off their slave labor, and with the assistance of the taxpayer-funded infrastructure, and the social safety nets the employees that work 40+ hours need just to survive, ad nauseum). Especially after I have had to spend so much to buy off the media and politicians just to keep the dumbfucks ignorant and pacifiedā€. Just because people are good at accumulating wealth doesnā€™t make them smarter or better critical thinkers, civic-minded, or any wiser. In fact it seems to make them sociopaths and give them tunnel-vision. (On the flipside, it seems to be the impoverished and disadvantaged who often truly grow intellectually and spiritually, as they are constantly having to overcome adversity and are forced to rely upon and work with the better angels of human nature and gain a better familiarity with them).

It seems ludicrous to me that business people donā€™t see how they should be responsible for contributing to the civilization (via taxes) that they exploited to extract their wealth. Take for example a company like Walmart. Their employees use the roads to drive to and from work. Their heavily-laden trucks travel millions of miles on public highways and freeways, they use public water and utility infrastructure, a significant percentage of their under-paid employees rely on food stamps to eat, and a bunch of other things I am surely not thinking of because Iā€™m super tired after a 12 hour shift for which I made $90 (before taxes ha!). Modern capitalists try to externalize every fucking thing they can; pollution, wages, infrastructure, etc. And thanks to the complacent corporate-owned media and uneducated public many Americans completely buy this ā€˜small governmentā€™ and ā€˜free marketā€™ bullshit the Kochs and their croneys have created as euphemisms for unchecked corporate oligarchy.

Sorry for the garbled half-ass rant. I really am tired, and exhausted from over-work and financial stress. I really am so tired of the way we treat each other in this country, I am soul worn, and really need something to change in my life because poverty is no joke. Every decision you make is based not on what is best for you and your family, but cost. Living in a state of constant worry about eviction, hunger, shame, inadequacy, and then on top of that living in a culture that says that if you are poor, there must be something fundamentally wrong with you, is exhausting.

Aaaaand in the process of apologizing for one rant, Iā€™ve gone and piped off an even more squirelly one. Ha!

24 Likes

Are you trying to claim that my congressman is not an extraterrestrial reptilian? Because Iā€™ve met the dude, multiple times, and Iā€™m not buying it, sir, not for one minute.

8 Likes

Great piece, Mark, thank you.

4 Likes

The shape of that dome is very suspiciousā€¦

6 Likes

You got me there. You can even see the scaly brow ridges. All he needs is a forked tongue. I am sure many of his constituents already claim that he speaks with one.

4 Likes

Their heavily-laden trucks travel millions of miles on public highways and freeways, they use public water and utility infrastructure, a significant percentage of their under-paid employees rely on food stamps to eat, and a bunch of other things I am surely not thinking of because Iā€™m super tired after a 12 hour shift for which I made $90 (before
taxes ha!).

This is why I can justify things like raising minimum wage, government support of organized labor, and various regulations to businesses which cut into their bottom line in order to protect the populace like environmental, anti-corruption and consumer protection laws. The companies are already putting a burden on the government in order to operate and create its wealth. It is only fair that the government return the favor.

Its also why I canā€™t consider libertarianism in its present form to be a sane and rational political position. Small government means ā€œmight makes rightā€ becomes the only consideration.

10 Likes

Heā€™s certainly not and I think it is sad to maintain such a prejudice. Having lived and worked here for decades, he should plainly be considered a terrestrial reptilian by now, donā€™t you think?

13 Likes

The illustration accompanying this story is fatphobic as hell.

1 Like

Just so. If Ted Cruz can be considered a natural born American citizenā€¦

1 Like

Is that forehead pulsing? Because it looks like its pulsing to me.

1 Like

Yes. Itā€™s horrible when richfuck fat cats get even fatter on the blood sweat and tears of others. Maybe our best hope is that the fat richfucks get so fat they just explode, or all get attacked by their selfish, fat hearts. (Can you tell that when it comes to a certain kind of symbolic fatness, Iā€™m fatphobic too?)

10 Likes

Itā€™s basic personal security, very important for the wealthy.

Fat people are harder to kidnap.

1 Like

Thatā€™s assuming that he is living in same world as the rest of usā€¦

1 Like

We need to be black listing political donors in a public way that makes it impossible to accept support from these influencers. For instance anybody touched by the Koch brothers should be a non-starter in any race. To be successful at this we need transparency in campaign finance, which means no PACs and no Citizens United. If you want any of this, and you are crazy if you donā€™t, then Sanders is the only candidate you should be supporting. Does not matter if he is successful, its a very visible step in the right direction.

3 Likes

There are pathologies all around us:

11 Likes

Yeah, I also found the comment on growers to be very interesting. Guessing it was a bit of a crib from another summary.

How do we stop human nature. We arenā€™t clubbing each other to death, but the financial war to become royalty over others is still very real.

3 Likes

When I first started to read up on the whole offshoring thing, I learned a few things that plainly baffled me: That it was pioneered by the Mafia, but is somehow now considered ā€œlegal,ā€ and that much of the offshoring goes on in the far away islands of Manhattan and London. There is, apparently, a great deal of money to be made in ā€œshelteringā€ assets from legitimate taxation and that, somehow, makes the whole thing acceptable.

So my question to the local finance experts is this: Whatā€™s to keep some shady bank from aggregating the savings of regular folks and small businesses into shell corporations and effectively removing the tax burden from us peons? Much more money could be made this way which equals: Good. We might also witness some fascinating monocle-popping horror from both Feds and Titans of Industry when they see the poors crashing the tax-dodge party.

7 Likes