I've been using my $120 Amazon 10" Fire HD Tablet for 5 months and love it

Personally, I don’t want a device subsidised by advertisements in my home, because I don’t want to be the product, but YMMV.

True… For now. Apparently it is going to be shut down in 2019 so enjoy while you can. https://techcrunch.com/2017/04/28/amazon-is-shutting-down-its-underground-actually-free-program-that-gives-away-free-android-apps/

It’s a whole $15 more without special offers, so.

Special Offers being lock screen magazine-style ads, atimes with an inset video?
And the great pyrenees hasn’t jailbroken the 10 yet, bc. maybe in a year there will be some super-opimized Tizen or Oreo distro to run on it? Or claws aren’t really conductive like fingers…

3 Likes

Which makes it $135. You really think Amazon can built a 10" tablet with a nice screen and decent hardware for that kind of cost? Or, just maybe, there is a catch and it phones home regularly for instructions?

Because Amazon knows that the Canadians will not buy enough services to recoup the subsidized price of the tablet?

The author of the original article subscribed to prime ($9/month), netflix ($8/month) and hulu ($8/month), which is more than twice the price of the tablet each year. That is before taking into account that prime users spend more at amazon and that the videos include advertisements.

Of course, the author might just say that they already spent these subscription in their home. That is not my point. The point is that this kind of tablets are only sold to people who are already in that regular spending loop, to keep them subscribing. In coutries were customers are not likely to bring that kind of money, that kind of subsidized hardware is not available.

Building this kind of hardware costs more than $135. Maintaining its software probably costs that much every 2 or 3 years. It does not add up, yet Amazon publishes record profits year after year.

1 Like

@Glaurung @jerwin

Thank you both for your excellent, detailed replies.

So the search for a cheap, even halfway decent drawing tablet goes on. Get with it, future! :grinning:

1 Like

stop buying things from amazon your supporting a toxic monopoly thats fucking everyone except their shareholders

Wait, what? So the verdict is that the new (open-ish) active sense-y BT-le pens Wacom and [a hunk of China] came out with are too dang slow to be giving bleed control to artists?

AndeeStmaur> It does not add up, yet Amazon publishes record profits year after year.

So here’s where one follows that by saying Sugar couldn’t run an alarmclock much less one with an HD radio[are these even in SDR makie kits yet,] but…Amazon just pledged to support 9 Central African Communist Regimes[* unpublished [bc. made up just now I think]] plus one adulating FSG, and two ESR Originalists with fungal blockchain currencies, and market there to groups of 6, and of course the records and shabby-jobs transparency reporting will continue!

[antipattern needed!] Yeah, that story about indigent villages around shipping centers was pretty concrete.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.