Jacques Pépin makes a delicious fried egg

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/22/jacques-pepin-makes-a-delicious-fried-egg.html

7 Likes

The only thing I would change is to cook it until the yolk is as hard as a superball.

9 Likes

Yoke must be runny so you can soak it up with some toast.

15 Likes

That’s exactly how my parents taught me some 40+ years ago now.

8 Likes

I learned everything I know about cooking eggs from Ralph Records:

5 Likes

Wait…a hard yolk?

you’re a god damn monster Mark. Go hide your head in shame.

9 Likes

I love this man’s videos. His pronunciation of the word “butter” is almost as tasty as butter itself.

One of my favorite videos of his is one where he effortlessly debones a chicken:

17 Likes

Damn he uses so much butter he’s practically deep frying them!

4 Likes

We prefer this as well, though if I’m aiming for sunnyside up I’ll leave the yolk runny. Instead of turning the heat down like in the video, I turn it up to add the steaming water. Then there is a sweet spot to look for where the whites have fried nice and crispy but the yolks are still not hardened.

1 Like

I’m gonna say that was a French tablespoon (1.5 standard tablespoons), a measurement applied exclusively to butter.

9 Likes

I’ve always said that not only is Pepin a fine chef, but he’s also a world-class line cook.

11 Likes

Every fine dining restaurant uses an amount of butter that would shock you.

13 Likes

“assuming a classic French restaurant… by the time you leave, you’ve probably eaten about a stick+ of butter”

16 Likes

I had the good fortune to attend a live demonstration where he performed this deboning process in front of about 20 of us, all the while chatting and telling stories about his life, beginning as an apprentice as a teenager. He made it look so effortless, and obviously he had done it hundreds or thousands of time. His videos are terrific glimpses into the skills of a true master in the kitchen who tries to de-mystify the cooking process.

9 Likes

My grandfather spoke exactly the same way with his old Parisian French accent.

I DVR all of Pepin’s shows and watch them regularly. And anytime I have mushrooms in the kitchen I out loud mutter “if you’re mushrooms are dirty, you wash them. if they aren’t you don’t.” in that same accent.

12 Likes

And a shocking amount of salt as well!

2 Likes

team Soft Yolk

5 Likes

I’ve switched to using olive oil for fried eggs (though I still like using bacon fat).

3 Likes

Big big fan of Jacques.
An amazing life too. The guy turned down the opportunity to work as a White House chef under the Kennedys so he could learn his craft even further by taking a job working in the kitchens working on menus for Howard Johnson.
For sheer entertainment value alone, his television work with Julia Child is a wonderful thing.
And yeah, the butter. Somewhere I remember his commenting specifically on the subject by quoting Julia Child who remarked 'You want it to taste good, don’t you?

9 Likes

Jose Andres would like a word.

1 Like