Jamaica wants slavery reparations from the UK

Yes. You don’t have to pay for your parents debts, and if your not complicit in their crimes, you aren’t liable for them either.

1 Like

This isn’t about liability. It is about acknowledgement that you’ve benefited. This isn’t about guilt. It is about admitting you got a leg up from history and realizing others did not.

4 Likes

6 Likes

And what if their crimes, or the crimes of the larger social order, benefit their children? Why is that transfer okay but others are not?

4 Likes

The article makes the point that Cameron’s family, personally, has benefited from the legacy of slavery in Jamaica as well. That’s where a bunch of their wealth comes from.

2 Likes

Since you brought up the “crimes of the parent” analogy: if your parent stole some priceless art or robbed a bank you wouldn’t be allowed to keep the proceeds regardless of your involvement in the theft. Remember the case of Cornelius Gurlitt in 2012?

“My dad was the Nazi collaborator, not me” doesn’t mean you get to keep the loot.

5 Likes

I don’t, as it happens, particularly disagree with you on that. If you go back far enough, everyone will have had a leg up in history, in one form or another, off the back of someone else. That’s a consequence of the nature of history, and, also of the way that, as you go back further through the generations, people have exponentially (ish) more ancestors. The question is what do you do about it now - and that’s where I believe , wherever reasonably possible, people ought only be responsible for their own actions

2 Likes

No it doesn’t - it was his great great uncle’s son. There’s no suggestion he was a direct relative, or that any of Cameron’s wealth is as a result of him.

1 Like

I don’t disagree with you there.

3 Likes

Oops! My bad.

2 Likes

I’m saying the poor are systematically oppressed in the United States, and the poor are disproportionately non-white. This, incidentally, is the source of structural racism; the fact that oppressors can profile economic class almost entirely by race in many parts of the US.

That statement is what makes you a racist in my book. You come up with it, or a close variation, in every single conversation [on race] that we have. You need to get past judging her by her skin color, but you clearly don’t want to. It’s all white/black to you. The most powerful man in the world is a black man, but you insist that data point must be discarded because it doesn’t fit your prejudice?

Yet you are more than willing to tell white people that anything they’ve suffered is small potatoes. You literally, in one conversation, told me that white paraplegics don’t have it so bad, because at least they’re not black. You said that, remember? Why was that OK? White suffering just plain doesn’t matter to you, is the message I get. Because of their skin color - you know perfectly well that not all whites are privileged beyond all non-whites, and you simply don’t care. You’ll just snark up some #notallwhites .gif and move on, undisturbed… I don’t know why I bother. I guess it’s because I enjoy talking to you about code and technology, where you are often insightful.

But you really peeve me with the incessant “everything’s better for every white person all the time” meme you have going on.

5 Likes

But you would acknowledge that white paraplegics are statistically better off than black paraplegics, yes?

3 Likes

That’s not what @albill is saying.

You’d be better off, and probably your daughter too, if you didn’t set up straw men and battle with them, instead of with actual problems. Like, you know, racism.

3 Likes

crickets.gif

1 Like

If you want to look at statistics, you should look at these:

There are twice as many white people victimized by police as black people.

This is clearly racially disproportionate, since there are six times as many white people as black people.

But; if this was caused by racist enforcement, there should be even fewer white people being victimized. And the victimizing should fall along color lines - white cops beating down black citizens, and black cops beating down whites. This does not seem to be the case. So racist enforcement is not a good fit for the data.

There are twice as many white people living in poverty as black people.

It seems the statistics support my contention - that a poor paraplegic of any color will suffer more than a rich paraplegic of any color - more than they support explanations based on racial categorization.

@milliefink; you already know that I already do quite a bit, in the meat world, about racism. So let’s not throw straw men at each other, OK? And I’m sorry that I can’t type as fast as all three of you put together, so I haven’t been able to reply to the fast-n-furious wife-beating setup questions ;).

1 Like

So I see you’re avoiding asking the questions that I actually ask in favor of the straw man game. I’m done here. Keep calling me a racist for being willing to acknowledge that your daughter, whom you admit is black, is black and that black folks in America are a systematically oppressed minority. I’m not sure how acknowledgement of racism makes me a racist but pretending it doesn’t exist is double plus good.

1 Like

Bullshit. You’re giving me ten seconds to answer before you move on to fresh accusations.

1 Like

You had a whole post of responding to me without actually really responding to my questions.

And your response is to keep calling me a racist as if that wasn’t offensive on its face.

Sorry but your bullshit doesn’t fly.

1 Like

I’m being honest with you; telling you what your statements look like to me, a person who is apparently not as privileged as you are (at least according to Brainspore).

You choose to take offense because you can’t stand to see yourself through my eyes.

I am trying to answer your have-you-stopped-beating-your-wife Socratic set-up questions, but it’s hard to keep up.

1 Like

So, once again, are you saying that black Americans are (or are not) a systematically oppressed minority? A yes or no will suffice, senator.

3 Likes