James Randi debunks Magnet Man

완전 실패야!

1 Like

Okay, let’s be intellectually honest about his super power–who the hell wants to be ■■■■■?

7 Likes

Very good documentary with a really harsh surprise twist in it.

There has been an alarming number of these over the years.

ETA: There is of course a much more worthwhile use for this ability.

6 Likes

This is how it feels when you find out you are not magic.

6 Likes

A baker, perhaps?

Your bread, cakes, pastries, etc. never go stale.

5 Likes

You have proofed me wrong, but I will rise to the occasion.

2 Likes

Proving the adage that west is west and yeast is yeast…

1 Like

Anyone who wants that snazzy gold suit, perhaps?

12 Likes

It is.

There is a time and a place for everything, don’t let your imagination fail you.

4 Likes

Fun fact: “Particle Man” is one of the sources of the catchphrase “Millennium hand and shrimp!”, uttered by Terry Pratchett’s character Foul Ole Ron.

He’s got a watch with a minute hand,
Millennium hand and an eon hand

The phrase was born when Terry fed a Markov-chain text generator with They Might Be Giants lyrics and the menu from his local Chinese takeaway. (Source.)

11 Likes

I understand the motivation of Randi, and rational, skeptical thinking is paramount, but there’s also a capacity where people want to believe in magic and paranormal activity (see organized religion), and in that regard, The Amazing Randi ends up being The Amazing Debbie Downer.

2 Likes

No, that’s how you feel when everyone else finds out you’re not magic.

If you were truly magnetic you’d feel your keys, your doorknob, random cars, clips on pens, paperclips and staples would be an endless annoyance, and goddamned iron filings, you’d find them everywhere.

So, presumably, since this guy doesn’t have these problems, he already knows he’s not magic. So now he’s been caught out by everyone else and proven as both a liar and someone desperate to show they’ve got some kind of talent.

5 Likes

I assume except in the cases where people are funneling money to “psychics” who are stealing money from people by using the memories of their dead relatives against them.

In which case, fuck those psychics, James Randi is a goddamned hero.

11 Likes

Was Magnet Man trying to coerce people into giving him money? He seems pretty harmless.

So did Uri Geller.

7 Likes

2 Likes

Magnemite is, I understand, weak against ground-type pokemon. Talc is a mineral. It all makes sense! Wake up, Mareeple!!!

7 Likes

magnets and talc bring to mind this tested video

8 Likes