James Randi debunks Magnet Man

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/03/06/james-randi-debunks-magnet-man.html

8 Likes

If you’re interested in Randi, check out “An Honest Liar”. Good documentary.

25 Likes

I’ll bet it was ferromagnetic talcum.

14 Likes

I saw Mr. Randi speak at Ohio State as a freshman in 2000. It was really a lightbulb moment in my life. I can’t overstate the impact his speech made on a young and naive Phart. We need more people out there going around and telling people how to use their brains.

22 Likes

I love this guy. And Korean Japanese audiences.

7 Likes

“Talc! My only weakness!” ~ Magnet Man

30 Likes

For Author:

1 Like

I was quite the fan of the ol’ randi.org around that time; a shame the archive has been blocked by robots.txt. (I recall badgering them with a rather primitive paper I wrote on astrology when they were running a scholarship competition of some sort.) I was happy when I finally got to see him speak a few years ago, even if he didn’t have much to say that was new to me.

It is staggering to think of the Million Dollar Challenge now. I can scarcely imagine the sheer magnitude of the idiocy with which they were confronted on a daily basis, and it would only be worse if they kept it running now.

As for this video, it feels like such a setup that it’s hard to believe the magnet-man didn’t see it coming.

8 Likes

Talcum man hates magnet man. They have a fight, talcum man wins, talcum man.

51 Likes

I’ll bet that guy took a powder soon after!

7 Likes

I think it’s clear from the video that the powder is a new invention of Mr. Randi. He even plugs a website and 800-# where you can buy it in bulk, for a discount!

3 Likes

27 Likes

Korean

2 Likes

고맙습니다 !

D’oh! Thanks!

1 Like

Water, fire, air and dirt
Fucking magnets, how do they work?
And I don’t wanna talk to a scientist
Y’all motherfuckers lying, and getting me pissed.

• Insane Clown Posse, Miracles (2009)

Too easy! More ICP on BB!

8 Likes
6 Likes

One of my friends the other day said I was working on a full James Randi “look” with my winter beard and hair. This makes me happy.
Thank you Mr. Randi for many inspirations.
You are magical.
Debunk that.

9 Likes

So Magnetic Man is in fact just really sweaty?

8 Likes

Yes, but he had to disguise it as another power because that niche had already been filled;

11 Likes