John Oliver: how to resist the normalization of Trump

I can understand first hearing of something on FB or Twitter, and then going to legit sources to look it up; but I cannot fathom just stopping at FB and thinking the info there is somehow “factual.”

Dear Dumbeldore help us, the Dumbening is real, and it’s endangering us all.

8 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

Not really doing either – just injecting some flippant humor into the conversation.

1 Like
4 Likes

Or fail it, if you’re in my class! :wink:

11 Likes

Is there an easy/straightforward way to set up regular donations to ALL of the charities and groups he mentioned? (I’ll do it one-at-a-time if not, but just wanted to ask.)

1 Like

is there a proper mirror to this anywhere?

Band Name!

3 Likes

“Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!”

6 Likes

Yeah, I really wish it didn’t seem like Carlin was right about that bit, but

4 Likes

What I (and probably others) need is the following:

• Facebook/Twitter/MySpace/Orkut friend posts something awful (racist, sexist, factually incorrect, etc.)
  • I click a button of some sort, and perhaps I classify the post.
  • Based on my classification, a donation is made in the name of the friend in an amount of my choosing.
  • A reply is made to my friend’s post, something like this:

Thank you for sharing your truth. Your words have inspired me to donate to {$Amount} to {$Charity} on your behalf. Peace be with you.

This accomplishes several things:

• I keep up with the current state of my social network.
  • Money is collected for deserving causes.
  • The amount of garbage in my social feed is reduced either through attrition, training, or both.
  • I get to be both a little snarky and a little productive.

The only problem I can think of is that I’ll need to set a cap for each month or I’ll likely bankrupt myself.

Anyone know of something like this?

13 Likes

But will you? Or are these figurative barricades?

Sometimes what worked in the past works fine in the present as well

1 Like

Ours got cancer and died, which is a real surprise, we all thought he’d die of a crack overdose.

3 Likes

Maybe Trump will be like Jesus, and die to save us all?

I use a proxy : https://proxyusa.org/index.php#.UmUrSyTlqHk

Don’t you see, the normalisation has already started, notice this piece uses the word Trump, not Drumpf, stick to your guns Jon, he’s a filthy German!

Have you seen his VP?

2 Likes

Good point. Maybe we can hope for a Road To Damascus moment instead then :wink:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.