Julian Assange released from prison

This was where Assange lost me.

Bill Maher to Julian Assange: ‘Why no hacks into the Donald Trump campaign?’ (yahoo.com)

In what seemed like a hoped-for gotcha moment, Assange responded by pointing to a $1 million donation Maher made under the name William Maher to “a Clinton-affiliated entity.”
The host, who’s been open about his donation in 2012 to the Obama campaign, said, “I don’t think you have to look in your files to find that, Julian. I gave Obama a million dollars. I made it public.

I saw this IRL at the time, and the sneer on Assange’s face when he said this clearly said he thought this would somehow mortally wound Maher. Asshole on asshole violence is not something I would normally condone, but on this one Assange was the bigger asshole.

9 Likes

Yup. Any claim Assange and Wikileaks might have once had to promoting “transparency” flew out the window when they threw in their lot with Putin and Trump.

The Trump administration was more scandal-prone and leak-ridden than any political entity in modern history, and we’re supposed to believe that a nonpartisan organization dedicated to speaking truth to power just happened to get tons of dirt on Democrats but nothing on the Trump campaign or the Trump White House? Give me a fucking break.

12 Likes

Especially, when tons of other organizations found shit-tons of dirt on Trump’s White House.

7 Likes

That Assange made some powerful enemies doesn’t make him innocent. I would definitely believe that opposition to him led to him being charged with rape when so many other men are casually let off the hook. The injustice, though, is not he was but that most accused are not. And to make matters worse, it means so many people have decided to basically assume the victims are liars, which is not at all fair to them.

10 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.