Just the name "Threads" re-traumatizes viewers of unbelievably grim postapocalyptic BBC drama aired 40 years ago

just in case somebody cant watch this geoblocked yt-video (as it is in my country) or want the best possible version to be found online;

1984’s Threads from the 2018 remastered DVD release

1984 - Threads (Remastered) : British Broadcasting Corporation : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

there is a 600mb .mp4 in the download-section without the after-discussion (just the film) in excellent quality.

3 Likes

And if you have kiddos, don’t forget to check out the new social media app just for kids, Grave of The Fireflies. Or the first social media network aimed at lonely homebound seniors: The Wind Rises. When the Wind Blows. (thanks @the_borderer, got my wind-based animated movies mixed up…)

10 Likes

A great social media site would be Testament, where you can loudly proclaim your beliefs to — oh, wait,

ETA: I haven’t seen Threads, but I can’t imagine anything bleaker than Testament.

4 Likes

It’s streaming for free in a bunch of platforms.

Tubi would be a strange choice. Horrifying nuclear war with wildly inappropriate commercials!

3 Likes

Let’s promote curiosity and promotion. We can call it “Come and See”

3 Likes

Extra points for the pink toilet paper!

3 Likes

I wouldnt trust any commercial streaming-service to show the uncensored version or the best possible quality;

On 13 February 2018, Threads was released by Severin Films on Blu-ray in the United States. The programme was scanned in 2K from a broadcast print for this release…On 9 April 2018, Simply Media released a Special Edition DVD in the UK, featuring a different 2K scan, restored and remastered from the original BBC 16mm CRI prints

so the 2018 DVD is actually a better version than the US-blray from that same year, hence my link above.

its different (testament doesnt show any destruction), but its more than equal. and where testament mercifully stops, threads just keeps going in its horror.

5 Likes

The Armand Assante remake is ATROCIOUS.

1 Like

Hermes: According to government records, the only names not yet trademarked are “Popplers” and “Zitsels”.
Fry: I know, we’ll call them Popplers!
Bender: Good idea.
Zoidberg: Oh, yeah, why not?
Amy: You sure picked it.
Fry: Swish!

3 Likes

This may be a dumb question, but why was the movie called “Threads”? I’ve been looking online and haven’t found any reference to the meaning of the title. What does the word “threads” refer to?

2 Likes

Yup, watched this in a high school history class in the mid 80s. Definitely makes an impression.

I would take a wild guess that the author was in grade school/whatever junior high is wherever they grew up give or take a few years, so 32 would have been soooooooo ancient :wink:

3 Likes

There’s a company in one of the nearby suburbs with their name on the building: ACCRAPLY. I can’t fathom who would have selected that turd of a name.

2 Likes

Haven’t they kept it from launch in the UK so far? Maybe they’re working on a new name ha.

(I don’t think many Americans have heard of this show… I could be wrong but I feel like I’m a fan of old Uk/BBC TV and I’ve never even heard this mentioned…)

2 Likes

from the spoken intro the first 30 seconds in:

In an urban society, everything connects. Each person’s needs are fed by the skills of many others.Our lives are woven together in a fabric, but the connections that make society strong also make it vulnerable.

its the ongoing theme in the film; one thing leads to another. and after that, the net of society with its connecting threads is gone and so is society itself.

eta/ ah, and here from the article smulder just linked;

The film’s title refers to the tenuous connections that keep our modern urban society running, and how easily they’re shattered

I’ve been looking online and haven’t found any reference

you werent looking very extensively, were you? :wink: I did search with the prompt

threads 1984 title is referring to what?

and the second(!) hit (denofgeek) shows

As the narrator informs us at the outset, invisible but indissoluble threads bind every part of society together so that if one part falls, it all falls

okok, I will stop it now.

7 Likes
4 Likes

And yet it’s got nothing on the British TV film Threads, which aired on PBS here in America, and makes The Day After look like a Sunday picnic

ohyes. had a weeklong depression after the first watching of threads. in my opinion its mainly the semidocustyle which makes it far more effective than the day after.

3 Likes

A Boy and His Blog

5 Likes

I was lucky enough to be visiting my aunt in Dublin when I was 13 and watched it alone while she was out playing whist. What a great time that was.

2 Likes

True fact: my dad was an extra in The Day After. They had a lot of locals from the Lawrence, KS area in the movie.

ETA: The guy with a beard in a yellow shirt getting into a fight from 1:27:30.

5 Likes

AS an 80s kids as well as watching threads, we also had to do, Children Of The Dust, for GCSE English, a lot of my childhood was filed with the horrors of nucular war

2 Likes