Just the name "Threads" re-traumatizes viewers of unbelievably grim postapocalyptic BBC drama aired 40 years ago

Originally published at: Just the name "Threads" re-traumatizes viewers of unbelievably grim postapocalyptic BBC drama aired 40 years ago | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Possibly the best smear campaign ever made

Smear campaign?

There’s so much hype surrounding Threads vs Twitter, that the parallels between this horrifying film and the social media platform are more than welcome

3 Likes

Always shocked (shocked) when a product is named such that a search will find a vast number of things not your product. (i’ve been unfortunate enough to be in a couple of product naming ‘whiteboard’ sessions and they almost always end with everyone exhausted and the highest ranking person saying “ok it’s Analtart, we’re done here.” and lo’ they choose the worst) That is, find a novel sequence of letters which are tolerably pronounceable, sheesh (“But ‘sheesh’ is already trademarked”) one such generator

11 Likes

I heard tell that motor manufacturers tend to sit on a wide range of words as potential model names (presumably having done whatever registration/protection is needed) precisely because of this problem.

7 Likes

I watched this film many years ago - to say that it is “unbelievable grim” is an understatement!

I used to think that it was fairly accurate for post-nuclear disaster on the short term (lack of resources, officials scrambling to manage the disaster). I was a bit skeptical of the accuracy of the depiction of the long-term impacts (society devolved with no support).
However, the last few years has taught me that even 1st world countries are utterly unequipped to handle wide-scale disasters in their country (let alone offering support to other countries).

15 Likes

12 Likes

Christiansexchange.com was always one of my favourite inadvertent product titles.

Threads was a trigger for me to have some major existential angst when I was about 11 years old. We lived near to a Norad facility and would likely have been ash within about 30 minutes of a nuclear war.

13 Likes

What a nightmare.
My dad told me about being surrounded by armed military vehicles as a teenager when he strolled too close to our local airbase that wasn’t carrying nuclear weapons.

4 Likes

Thread eh?

12 Likes

Never seen that movie, but now I want to.

2 Likes

Not to be confused with “The War Game,” another BBC film about nuclear Apocalypse from 1965
The War Game - Wikipedia

8 Likes

As a nuclear traumatized 70’s child and sci-fi nerd I had both those connections pop into my brain simultaneously.

It still makes more sense than “Twitter” though.

10 Likes

Old?

Actor was 32, according to IMDB.

(Also, I have learned that Google’s SafeSearch now defaults to “Blur explicit results” rather than “Filter explicit results”. Searching for threads woman urinates on herself brought back all sorts of interesting and educational items.)

3 Likes

Zuck has been made aware of the connection, and has pledged to rename the site: The Day After Tomorrow.

12 Likes

My last active duty station in the USAF was the Cheyenne Mountain facility in Colorado, so I was in the crosshairs of that attack. At least it would have been quick.

Fun fact: I was reading a lot of Heinlein during that period of my life. (I got better.) There a scene in The Moon is a Harsh Mistress where the Lunar colony revolutionaries drop a rock from orbit on the mountain, utterly devastating it. I first read that while actually inside the mountain. I had to go walk outside for a few minute.

9 Likes

Was coming to say exactly this. It’s weird what sticks sometimes, isn’t it? (Well, maybe not in the case of Threads. It holds a similar place to Ghostwatch in the ‘collective trauma’ genre, in that if you saw it, you never forgot it.)

5 Likes

That was an amazing and yes, horrifying drama.

But I won’t be avoiding the new social media platform, as “it Zucks”.

I don’t want to be monetized (more) if I can avoid it!

2 Likes

The Beach has a nice ring to it.

9 Likes