Kano Computer Kit – If kids can put together Legos, then why not a whole computer?

Wanted to mention that. Was asleep and off duty so you were faster. :stuck_out_tongue:

I wonder if a transistor could be made from a naturally occurring substance, e.g. galena, in a way similar to cat whisker diodes…

Dear you, technically “Lego” is a trademark and therefore an adjective, not a noun, and in English adjectives are neither singular nor plural.

why is a trademark automatically an adjective?

1 Like

Dear rest of the world,

People in the USA don’t even care about speaking and writing properly our own language(s), so I’m pretty sure no one care about Danish brand names.

Sincerely,

The USA.

2 Likes

Because a trademark is a brand name that modifies a generic noun. For example, LEGO building bricks are different from Mega Blok building bricks, though they’re both types of building bricks. Now, in casual use, trademarks get used by themselves as a shortened version of the trademark-noun combo (e.g. “Have you driven a Ford lately?” for Ford automobiles), and taken to the extreme that results in the trademark actually becoming a noun and losing its protected status, a genericized trademark (which contrary to popular belief, Jell-O and Kleenex are not quite yet). But it’s silly to argue that there’s a “correct” way to make a trademark-used-as-a-noun plural, when it’s technically not correct to use a trademark as a noun in the first place.
https://www.google.com/m?q=trademark+noun+adjective

1 Like

Great, now we’ll have micro-microchip breweries everywhere, just like with beer - you won’t be able to throw a brick without hitting a “custom home fabricator.”

We’ll get microchip snobs. “Oh, I only use microchips fabricated from free-range, natural quartz. I find that synthetic crystals just don’t feel the same.” Or “Yes, the data processed by this chip has a hint of chocolate, and is that…a touch of cinnamon I detect? Indeed. The crystal was harvested on a…Tuesday? No, Wednesday, by a man named Franklin. He had…I’m getting fish here…yes, he had trout for supper that night.”

5 Likes

Can’t come soon enough.

Inevitable price. Cheap to pay.

Was “@shaddack kills everyone with grey goo” on Stephen Hawking’s list of ways that humanity might end?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.