Kansas cops love confiscating cash and property. A new law forces them to declare what they take

… The War on Drugs began in June 1971 when U.S. Pres. Richard Nixon declared drug abuse to be “public enemy number one” and increased federal funding for drug-control agencies and drug-treatment efforts. In 1973 the Drug Enforcement Administration was created out of the merger of the Office for Drug Abuse Law Enforcement, the Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs, and the Office of Narcotics Intelligence to consolidate federal efforts to control drug abuse.

The War on Drugs was a relatively small component of federal law-enforcement efforts until the presidency of Ronald Reagan, which began in 1981. Reagan greatly expanded the reach of the drug war and his focus on criminal punishment over treatment led to a massive increase in incarcerations for nonviolent drug offenses, from 50,000 in 1980 to 400,000 in 1997. In 1984 his wife, Nancy, spearheaded another facet of the War on Drugs with her “Just Say No” campaign, which was a privately funded effort to educate schoolchildren on the dangers of drug use. The expansion of the War on Drugs was in many ways driven by increased media coverage of—and resulting public nervousness over—the crack epidemic that arose in the early 1980s. This heightened concern over illicit drug use helped drive political support for Reagan’s hard-line stance on drugs. …

@docosc and @smulder are both correct

Cui bono ?

and:

butimagineifwe

5 Likes

Do I get 5 points for even considering aimed projectile vomiting?

I have my own bouts of food poisoning down to a near-science in 2024. I think I can just about manage because of all my months of practice!

ETA: I might need a stepstool. Do you think they’d see that as sus?

4 Likes

ok. i see what you are saying, but i am wondering if there is corruption or out and out theft in addition to CAF as the article stated " A part of the problem in Kansas, specifically, is that the cops lie about how much they take." I read this as that they are skimming/stealing from the seizure. who is policing the police?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.